Tulip bulbs - after digging up the old ones, what to do with the tiny ones?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Jun 24, 2024.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +244
    I've never planted tulips before but ended up buying some and having a nice display this Spring.

I'm now digging the old bulbs out of their tubs and of course there's also quite a number of new but very tiny bulbs attached to the original larger ones.

I can't imagine the tiny ones doing much next year but what is generally done with them? Plant a load of them in their own large pot and let them grow for a few years?

2. BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
    Ratings:
    +196
    It depends on which type of tulip - species types usually divide themselves that way.
    Most decorative tulips produce them, but they usually come to nothing. You could try growing them on for a few years before planting out, but IME, they die off (or I lose interest) before reaching flowering size. I think we've all tried this at some time or another!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +244
      Thank you, think I'll stick the tiny ones into a pot and see what happens. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
        Ratings:
        +196
        Nothing to lose, so why not! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
          Ratings:
          +1,832
          What's this digging tulips out of what you speak?
          Even in tubs, I leave them in to do their own thing....then again, I leave everything in. Dahlias, cannas, begonias, pelargoniums, I suppose it helps being within a shingles toss from the coast!

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
          Ratings:
          +462
          I lift them, soil and all, and dump them into some old large plastic tubs behind the greenhouse. In the Autumn, I rummage through and any large, firm ones get planted into our wild area or occasionally an old pot. IMO it’s hit and miss how much of a show you’ll get from them the next year.

I reuse the remaining old soil and it often has lots of the little offsets in them. I’ve not known seen any which grow and flower, but then I’m not taking any care of them, they’re just left in the soil