Tulips

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by poppy, Apr 22, 2005.

1. poppy

poppy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bayleaf thanks for your info in the past this time I need help in what to do with my tulips when they die off do I leave them like the daffs for weeks on end before I dig them up or can I leave them where they are and cut them back Poppy

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Poppy
    I tend to dead head & leave my tulips to die back in the ground, and plant tender annuals around which beneift from the protection of the dying leaves & eventually grow up to cover them. You can dig up the whole thing whilst the leaves are still on & then pop them into pots somewhere out of the way, and replant in November in a suitable place. Whatever you do, give them a liquid feed once a week till the foliage has turned yellow. If you do want to get them out, make sure you dig deep enough to get the whole thing out - its really frustrating digging up a clump of leaves! When I plant tulips, I bury them good & deep - about 9 inches, & they come back well. They are such good looking things with a long season of interest if you get the varieties sorted. My fave at the moment has to be "Abu Hassan"
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Though Jan Reus is a close second & my all time fave is Queen of the Night - sooo sexy!
    Jan Reus below in my front garden
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. poppy

poppy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bayleaf for that info and what a lovely array of tulips you have mine are just the common red riding hoods they are just the right size for my garden and do look so pretty as we have not had a lot of wind they have stood up like solders
    Poppy

4. wineandchoc

wineandchoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I belong to a gardening thing here, and we have to dig up all the spring bulbs from planters and flower beds in late May. We leave them to dry out, pull off all the foliage and then put them in a cool dry place in boxes until they are planted out again in October. Two boxes were forgotten about, so I planted various daffodils and tulips in my own garden in March, they are all flowering now :0)