Turning a New Leaf

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Parkwell, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Parkwell

Parkwell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I've never had much experience with gardening, but want to improve. I'd mostly like to grow edible things, as I'm very much into cooking. Unfortunately, most plants around me either get very messy or die. Time to try and change that. Thought I'd start with herbs, which sound easier to grow and I've actually got a headstart on it.

I rent my house, and the previous tenants were quite into their plants and left a lot behind. I've been here a year and left things badly neglected. No doubt enough to make some of you weep. Sorry. The very small garden is an overgrown mess, and very weedy. Lots of dried out plants in pots. House plants I don't even recognise have snuffed it. Plus there are a lot of slugs round my way, although the numbers seem to be going down compared to a year ago. Not sure why. At least they don't get in the kitchen anymore.

The best things I inherited were a rosemary bush, sage bush, and a potted kitchen bay tree. I use them a lot for cooking (taste great), they look okay, but are still due some attention. I thought I might do some cuttings and see how that goes - so any advice on propagating those three would be really appreciated. I also fancied starting some new herbs when the time was right, and growing some garlic. I understand now is a good time to pot garlic?

Any other ideas for what's good for beginners would be nice. Although I'm a little limited as there's every chance I'll move house (or the landlord has talked about selling up) within the next two years. I'd still like to get some practice though, before hopefully buying my own place and getting really dug in. I've some other threads to get stuck into now. Will see you all about.

2. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hello Parkwell and welcome,you will get loads of advice on here,they are all a friendly bunch,and pleased to help,so ask away,someone will know the ans.enjoy [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Kathy. Welcome to GC. If I can just talk about rosemary for a sec. I've had a rosemary bush for 30 years. But it isn't the same one. It is a descendant of the original. Don't remember how many greats but it is still flavouring my lamb, chicken etc. If you may be moving in 2 years then take a rooted cutting with you from next summer. A spur cutting is what you need in late summer. Just rip off a nice looking little sprig right where it joins the main plant (yes rip it so a spur is left). Take several, you won't hurt it. If you can get some hormone rooting powder then you are almost guaranteed success, but even if you cant, just shove it in some standard compost and keep it damp. You will still get a 70% take if you do it at the right time of year. The bay is a bit more difficult. I've got a bay tree (8 foot tall) and have never managed to get a viable cutting off it. So I'm hoping someone else comes in on that one. :D

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Welcome to g c Parkwell.

5. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Parkwell A warm welcome to GC,

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Parkwell,
    Welcome to the forum as I write many a time this is the best gardening forum as its full of really nice people just like myself......I'm also very modest as you can tell!

The guys & girls on here are more than willing to give you a helping hand with all your gardening woes, I for one have had plenty of help!
    Enjoy your stay. ;)
    Helen.xxx.

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    welcome to G.C. all the help you need will be found on this forum.. enjoy [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hello parkwell
    i a newbie too, but i can tell you the people on here are great.
    did you get a pm or something to help with herbs? i didn't see any replies on here but i know there is a section on them.
    i'm too new to offer any help but wish you the best.

9. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi there parkwell, a warm welcome to G.C

10. Parkwell

Parkwell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the warm responses everyone.

11. chengjing

chengjing Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome on board, Parkwell. I am into edible garden as well.

As Sarraceniac said, you can still take semi ripe cuttings from sage and rosemary, keep them in a warm place like kitchen window sill they should be rooted in a few weeks. As for bay tree, you will need to take hard wood cutting (size about a pencil), and it will take several months for it to root.

It is not late to plant out garlic cloves. You can also sow chive seeds as well. As for other herbs it is probably easier to start them in spring as a lot of them are not fully hardy. Hope this will be helpful.