Turning over a new leaf....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Joolz, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    As a novice gardener, I'm very wet behind the ears when it comes to knowing what I'm doing. But, over time, I'm determined to turn my patch of garden into something that actually looks like a garden, and transform from it's current state of despair..

I've only really been 'into' gardening for the last year, but once the bug bit me, it's all I can seem to think about. :heehee: I have a lot to do in my garden (just under an acre of it) and it's mostly laid to lawn with borders around it along the hedging. We have a couple of Apple trees, 3 Damson, and a Pear tree, though I think we need to get the Pear tree a friend to help boost the fruit content on it..

I'm awaiting delivery of a greenhouse, sometime by the end of April, early May all being well, which I am so looking forward too. My little grow house has served me well, but all the spring seeds I was propagating for planting out for this spring suffered at the hands of Mother Nature oner the Winter. So it's time to start afresh!! :dbgrtmb:

At the moment we've slabbed out the area for the Greenhouse, and I'm working on getting one border ready for it's late spring and summer flowers. I hope to be able to start on more areas of the garden as time goes by, and if all goes well, I might even work up to establishing a veg plot too!! Hubs hasn't got a green finger at all, but will mow the lawn, but that's where his greenfinger starts and ends, so it's down to me, to turn my garden into something I'm proud of.

I'll be adding more along the way, as I journey through my garden, giving it a much needed facelift!

My little grow house.
    [​IMG]

The border I'm working on at the moment..
    [​IMG]

View across the lawn to the Oak tree. (and neglected borders) :o
    [​IMG]

The area where my Greenhouse will be sited.
    [​IMG]

Placing out some of the Perennials into the summer border. I've left them in their pots for now, until I'm sure of where I want them sited.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to be working on my garden for quite a while. But as the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day", I WILL get there!!!

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it. I'll be sure to update you as I set about my task. :sunny:

2. penny_lane

penny_lane Gardener

working with animals
    Ratings:
    +63
    Looks great Joolz, looking forward to seeing how you get on and have to say am a little envious of your large garden and oak tree :-)

I have'nt been gardening all that long mainly only shrubs and pots until my new house two and a half years ago with veg plot and I am becoming addicted.

Can't wait to see the photos as things progress

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Looks like a garden with lots of potential, Joolz! Well, you've got plenty of space to develop the garden to just how you like [although too much grass for me!}. You're going to have a great time with it and the trick is to take your time as you do it. Your soil, I noticed, is light and sandy which, since I've got the same, is nice and easy to work in. They are hungry soils so just keep adding whatever waste compost on it over the coming years. I've been doing that for the last 30 years and it's a lovely dark brown colour now, and the plants seem to like it. I don't think you'll have any drainage problems either.!! Good luck with it all, enjoy every minute of it, and keep us all updated on how you get on.

4. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    I love your garden! Can't wait to see how you get on with it.

I'm very new at being 'into' gardening - but I agree with you, it's all I can think about now! :heehee:

5. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,242
    ohhh! I'm turning a tad green with envy!:D So near to where I grew up (and my heart still beats stronger there), such lovely soil, so much SPACE!

We will have some land of our own sometime soon, won't we, hubby?

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Cor thats a lovely big space you've got there Joolz. I'm looking forward to how it develops :sunny:

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, you could live off that Joolz:OUCH:

Good luck, nice to see the pics, keep em coming :thumb: