Two general questions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by alan2273, Apr 11, 2005.

1. alan2273

alan2273 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Two questions, I have some hyacinths in a pot which have finished flowering.
    What do I do with them now, do I cut them back to the bulb or do I let them die down, can I plant them in the garden to get them to come again next year.

And suggestions as to something to put in pots that will be alright all year round and can be left in the pots without outgrowing the pot they are placed in.

Regards Alan.

2. Ambersparkle

Ambersparkle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Alan,
    take your bulbs out of the Pots, and let them dry in the Sun, keep them till next Autumn, and replant them in new compost with a feed in it.
    That is what I do, and it works fine though some people might do differently. You can plant them in the garden, but I usually do it the
    way I said

3. alan2273

alan2273 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answer Ambersparkle, I will do as you suggested.

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Alan, don't take them out of the pot til the leaves start to die back, and if the pot is small, give them a feed. The bulb has to build up for flowering next year.

Me I stick em in the garden after flowering

5. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of thing would you like in your pot?

6. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan, I do the same as Fran - plant them out in the garden, Make sure you plant them deeper than they were in the pot - you need to cover the bulb with soil to a depth equal to the size of the bulb. Let the leaves die back, as Fran says they need to make "food" to feed next years flowers & need the leaves for this. You can cut them off after about 6-7 weeks.

How big is your pot? What Shape/colour/material? Where are you putting it & what sort of effect are you after?