Tying in Honeysuckle ( and other plants )

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Dropmore, May 13, 2024.

1. Dropmore

Dropmore Gardener

Ratings:
    +130
    Hi all I hope you can help.

I planted this honeysuckle in January and I'm just geting round to putting up a wire trellis to grow it on along with a climbing rose and clematis further along the fence.
    As you can see in the picture's below I've put on the wire anchers and put one wire in wich sits 3 inches away from the fence.

So do I put the lower wires behind the honeysuckle or infront and those stems that are under the top wire should I pull them out over the wire if I can and maybe train them along the wire. It's growing fast now about 2 inches or more a day.

Thanks I hope you can help:love30:.

Attached Files:

2. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,030
    I always tie plants to the wires to the front.
    When they're much much bigger plants, it's easier to prune the stems if they are in front of the wires.

That's quite a combination of vigorous climbing plants you have there, hope you can manage to keep them all controlled

3. Dropmore

Dropmore Gardener

Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks Pete8.

So I'll push the wire behind the plant I think that's what you mean. Thanks again for your quick reply :)

Yes they are all vigorous and as usual I'll probably learn the hard way :rolleyespink: .

4. Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,030
    I tie the plant to the front of the wire but leave enough space in the loop bit for the stems to expand - you don't want to strangle them as they grow.
    Where the string is tied into a knot I move the knot to the back so it's not rubbing on the plant.
    I use cheap garden string which rots over a few years by which time the stems are robust enough not to need the tie so much.

Sort of like this-
    upload_2024-5-13_11-35-47.png