Tying peas and sweet peas.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rustyroots, May 27, 2012.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi all,

I have tied my peas an sweet peas to their supports when I planted them. Do I need to continue tying them or just let them sort themselves out?

Rusty

2. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    They should sort themselves out but you may need to encourage the odd one to follow the support but generally they grow naturally round the supports.:)

3. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,740
    Depends on what you've used for supports really. So long as there's plenty for the tendrils to cling on to, they shouldn't need any more help from you.
    By 'plenty to cling on to', I mean something like twiggy branches or netting of some kind which gives the plants plenty to grab hold of.
    This would be better than, say, straight sticks or canes which don't really provide enough purchase for the plants.

4. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    I grow for multi flower on long stems. so I remove all sideshoots and tendrills. I grow them up strings and open the 'lay' of the string and pop a short bit of wire through there. I also tie a leaf 'stalk' and not the main stem after about 10 inches tall.

When they have reached to he top of the string, I open the wire and allow the sweet pea to fall to the ground then send it up a convenient string for another 7-8 foot run.

:wub2:

Cheers, Tony.

5. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Whatever I'm growing up, whether individual canes, pea sticks, or mesh, I always poke some short twiggy bits (9 - 12" high silver birch twigs) to help them get off the ground and get climbing.