Type of plant advice needed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Matt40, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Matt40

Matt40 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want a shrub/tree/plant to plant at the front of my house although not sure what one as not a gardening expert. I want it to be quite hardy I guess and look really flowery in the spring/summer and also to grow high enough to give the front window some privacy. There is currently only a 'weedy' rose bush as you can see, the problem is also I am not sure what it is planted in ,the soil might only go someway down before hitting builders sand so something with deep roots might not survive?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Matthew

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,656
    Hi Matt the weedy rose bush as you decribe it ,would do the job that you want,no question,If it was replanted in November with the correct soil and a deep enough hole /TLC
    and pruned in Feb/March:)

3. Colin J

Colin J Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would ditch the rose and plant a Clematis vitalba agg and trailing annuals like Ipomea and trailing Nasturtiums

4. Matt40

Matt40 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for these suggestions, I had a look at pictures on the net. If I want some privacy for the window it has to grow to at least 3-4 feet up and be a couple of feet wide at the top, I am not sure any of these do the job?

5. RaggedTrouseredNurseryman

RaggedTrouseredNurseryman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the area in the photo i would be tempted by a nice Lilac, perhaps a Madame Lemoin or a Prince Wokolsky depending on your preference for bloom colour. Kept annually pruned would comfortably offer everything you require: scented flowers, fruits for the birds and privacy. In terms of an evergreen a buddleia may well be the best solution.