Type of willow tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Barry Jones, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Barry Jones

Barry Jones Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    20140317_174246_22.jpg

I am new to this forum and looking for some advice on what type of willow tree I have inherited in the property I have recently purchased. Please see the uploaded picture.

I am concerned that Willow trees can cause serious damage to properties and drainage systems. Therefore, I am considering the possibility, although it seems a shame, of removing the tree. However, before I do this I wanted some advice on the type of willow it is, and what the likelyhood of any damage actually been caused to my propery, based on it's current distance from the house, drains etc. It is a the front of the property, close to block paving, and about 12 meters from the front of the house and 5 meters from the nearest drain.

Firstly, can someone please tell me what type of willow tree I have? Then, if possible, give an indication of what would be the best course of action to take.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Barry

• Like Like x 1
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,344
      Welcome to the forums Barry Jones.
      Hmm! Not sure exactly which willow you have.

I love trees... however all willows trees are shockers for seeking our water in pipes/sewers.
      I attach 2 links to help you to decide.
      If it were mine I would remove it.
      At the end of the day the decision is your.
      Hope this helps.

http://www.subsidencebureau.com/subsidence_trees.htm

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=willow roots drain&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=C5gpU975JJCUhQecvYG4Ag&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=967#q=tree roots drain pipes&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

• Like Like x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        It looks like a twisted willow to me. They don't get too big as willows go. If your soil is already water logged then willow may not instantly head for your nearest drain. Taking it out may also make your garden more waterlogged if it isn't already too.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Barry Jones

Barry Jones Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Hi All,

Thanks for your quick replies and the information provided. It seems I have joined an excellent source of knowlege here.

Jungle Jane, I appreciate your help with identifying the tree. It certainly does appear to look like a twisted willow from some pictures I have just obtained from google. What kind of size do you think the tree could get to? To answer your other point, I have no problems with drainage in that area as far as I can see, so I think I will remove the willow to be on the safe side. Just concerned it could cause some damage otherwise.

Does anyone have any tips for safe removal of a willow tree to ensure that I fully kill it. For instance, is my best bet to try and dig it up or will the roots be too well established? Alternatively, could I cut it down to the stump and use a stump/root killer. I have read that the willow is a very hardy tree and can be difficult to kill off the roots.

Any help would be great.

Regards

Barry

• Like Like x 1
          • Lorea

Lorea Wine drinker

English teacher
            Ratings:
            +1,363
            Hi Barry! Welcome to the forum!
            We had a twisted willow in our garden when we bought our house 8 years ago. It was only about 3 or 4 years old then but grew very very quickly and was just taking up too much space (apart from trying to strangle me every time I walked past it!) so we decided to get rid of it. Pruning it, by the way, just made it grow twice as big, twice as fast. So we chopped it down bit by bit until the stump was left, which we removed as best we could, but there were still some pieces of root left in the ground which were impossible to remove. That was three years ago, and so far, it's showed no signs of reappearing. It is a lovely tree if you have the room for it - I used to use the branches for decoration in the house, and also as kindling on the fire - but in its place there is now a much more colourful flower bed and lots more light in the garden.
            Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
            • TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
              +247
              Hi Barry Jones,

I agree with Jungle Jane and concur that it is a contorted willow. To me it would appear to be far enough away from the house, and in such a juvenile state, to cause no damage to your property. This can be clarified in detail by a qualified arboricultural consultant or structural surveyor, should you wish to go down that route.

There has been a lot of media-led scaremongering and misinformation from lay people recently regarding a tree's proximity to a house or drain and causing subsidance. Although subsidance can sometimes be an issue these occurances are, in fact, quite rare. A lot of trees and needlessly felled by concerned tree owners when there is no need for such drastic action to be undertaken. Willows absorb a lot of ground water, and removing your tree could mean that the water it would've absorbed now remains in the soil, causing waterlogging issues.

Subsidance is sometimes an issue only in areas where the clay soil has a high plasticity index; i.e how much shrinkage and swelling the soil undergoes when the water level changes (heavy rain/dry spells). If your property is not on clay soil and it has deep foundations that are intact and undamaged then the chances of susidance is virtually nil.

Likewise damage to drains - only an issue of the drain becomes damaged, leaks water and the tree roots then enter the drain. If the drain remains intact then there should be no issue.

I do see a wall in the background of your photo, but can't rightly gauge it's distance from the tree. This may be an issue in the future as wall foundations are not as deep as houses.

Courses of action:

1. professional removal of the tree and stump either via mechanical means (stump grinder) or by applying a suitable stump killer.

2. Regular formal pruning to keep the tree in its present form, therefore reducing the tree's needs to increase its water uptake.

3. Leave it, enjoy it, keep an eye on it.

Hope this is of help,
              Matthew

• Like Like x 2
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                If you want to be rid of a willow ... honey fungus!

That is what killed off the glorious (and quite old) specimen in my garden - and I've been waterlogged ever since, even in June! :cry3:

Helpful? Probably not.
                True? Absolutely!!

• Like Like x 2