Type of Willows?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Wild_Violet, Sep 23, 2024.

1. Wild_Violet

Wild_Violet Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,
    Can anyone identify the willows below? I think the one with fuller leaves is a goat willow but not sure what type the other one is, if even a willow. Grateful for any suggestions.

03680A90-6A10-459D-92A4-96A9F9A01113.jpeg

683022BA-441C-401B-AAE0-9AEBDD62145D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Gardener

pt shade, rarely- 5°c air temp
      Coastal southern Eng, zone 9a free draining sandy
      Ratings:
      +55
      I am not an expert, but your bottom photo looks like my Grey Willow. Would be interested to know what others think. Great for wildlife etc.

• Like Like x 1
      • Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,088
        I'd guess the top one is an ordinary willow that's seeded from another nearby.

The bottom one does look like goat willow, and there's plenty of that around here. I get quite a few in my garden.
        I'd not heard of grey willow before but it seems very similar to goat willow, so could also be that.

You wouldn't want any of them in a typical garden as they get really huge and their fluffy seeds can travel quite a distance in any breeze.
        In early summer there's a bank of goat willow where I walk with my dog. When the seeds take off it looks like drifts of snowflakes that cover the surrounding ground.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Wild_Violet

Wild_Violet Gardener

Ratings:
          +45
          @PeteB thank you and @ClematisDbee for your suggestions.
          I’ve collected them over a number of years along with many other self-seeded saplings in my garden and just stuck them in pots dotted about. I’ve recently offered them for free to folks who could use them as I wouldn’t plant them in my garden. One chap said he lives on a farm and has plenty space to let them grow. Just two Goat or maybe Grey willows and lots of sycamores to go. The hawthorns I shall keep.
          Thank you

• Like Like x 2