UK bread and cereal bars contaminated with glyphosate

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Loofah, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,756
  2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    That article is badly contaminated with spelling mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +32,854
      "Only organic crops will be free of any pesticide residues."
      :snork:

They want to test all organic wheat/maize coming into the country it mite open some people eyes :mute::yikes:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,195
      ???? Are you sure, Scrungee?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Its clearly an Anti-Monsanto rant. Without citations to proper peer-reviewed science I ignore them ... although I do hold in the back of my mind that it would be possible for Large Pharma, like Monsanto, to Buy, Lobby or even Bribe officialdom such that I was prevented from hearing the truth, so the occasional whistle blower is no bad thing. The Cigarette industry's suppression, for decades, of how carcinogenic their products were, and their sponsoring of alternative science designed to try to fudge the data and/or demonstrate an opposite hypothesis is a case in point.

However ... assuming that I am not being brainwashed, the latest adjuvants in Roundup are non toxic. That isn't true for older formulations, and in particular is not true for generics. So I think the point is moot - although imported food from abroad is more at risk from cheap generics, and "cheap" probably also means "poorly formulated" and thus more likely that unacceptable / more toxic adjuvants were involved. More food-miles in foreign-grown food, so we were already avoiding those whenever we can, we just have an additional reason to do so.

Mrs K and I have, recently, made a conscious choice that we need to grow as much, as humanly possible, of the food we eat so we know for certain the provenance. You might have thought that Tesco's Beefburgers were Beef - heck, even Tesco thought that! ... we now know that was horse poo. Ho!Hum!

Humankind has progressed a lot through science; without science we aren't going to feed the population, which has at least one more doubling-in-size left before it stabilises. Progress through Science has generally gone OK, with a few hiccups along the way, but I wouldn't want to go back to living in a cave ... cheap food, in my lifetime, has enabled me and most others to live a better life - more of my income has been disposable after paying for Food and Heating, so we bought Washing machines and Dishwashers, and the time it saved either enabled us to work more (as a couple, certainly) or have more leisure time - or both.

But I would prefer that someone other than me was the unfortunately fall guy for those parts of science that go bad, so as a family we are focused on maximising what we can to grow-our-own.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        P.S. Didn't know Roundup was a Pesticide <sic> Going to go out now and spray all my plants with it to kill all the bugs!

• Funny Funny x 2
        • _Evelyn_

_Evelyn_ Gardener

Ratings:
          +81
          Natural news is clearly a conspiracy setup. In my honest opinion I believe 99% of conspiracy sites are operated by the government or huge corporations with a vested interest in spreading misinformation and the owner of natural news according to what I have just read worked for (and probably still does) Pfizer.
          Alex Jones is a classic example he clearly works for the Koch brothers or David Icke who probably still works for the BBC.