underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Celia, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This is way off topic I know but does anyone know anything about underfloor heating? The in-laws are having it installed in their annex and it will be connected to our oil-fired combiboiler. We were going to have it put in our kitchen as there is no room for a radiator but beloved will have to dig the floor out 5" deep to allow for all the insulation etc. The builder recommended electric matting instead and says that it is economical to run and comparable to the oil fired system. I'm sceptical as I have never understood electricity to be a cheaper source of heating. Am I wrong? Does anyone have insider knowledge on this matter. The matting will mean that the kitchen can be installed in about 2 weeks but the cost of running it is putting me off. Helppp!

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    The only thing I know about under-floor heating is that the Romans did it and called it hypocausts - so, sorry, Celia, I can't help at all.... Hope somebody else will be a bit more use to you :rolleyes:

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi Celia

We have electric underfloor heating in our kitchen. I can't tell you about the running cost because it is only one part of our electric usage. We have had it for three years and it works very well. We're extremely pleased with it and it gives an even heat throughout the kitchen.

It enabled us to have the floor tiled in very nice ceramic tiles and we are able to walk on it in bare feet as the floor is never cold (we always walk around the house in bare feet). If your kitchen is not too large I would guess that if it is more expensive to run on electricity it will not be a great deal more. It seems as though there should be a saving on installation costs so that may be another factor to consider. We are having a garden room built and having elctric underfloor heating in there which is much cheaper to install in a new building than anything else. As you are in Cornwall I would (once again) guess that your heating requirements are not quite as great as ours.

Maybe someone else on GC will be able to give you a better guide on running costs.

Good luck with whatever you decide. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't know about electric heating, like you it would worry me.

I have just had installed hot water underfloor heating throught my place, on a combi boiler and so far it is wonderful. It is recogned to be about 20 per cent more efficient than radiators, and the first bill in so far is in fact about that.

Unlike you though, I raised my floor up 5 inches and raised all the doorways to match!

I would imagine the electric would be a lot cheaper to install but would probably cost more to run. Sorry I don't have more accurate info. but would be happy to provide more details of a hot water system if you are interested.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Celia I would go for the electric underfloor heating, as you say cheaper to install and running costs would be comparable,no energy is cheap today if one was much cheaper than the other everyone would be on it,good insulation underneath is essential.

6. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the advice. We are going to keep with the idea of the wet system. It means more work but we feel more confident about running it.