Underground water storage

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Mark901, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Mark901

Mark901 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I wants to store 200-300L of water underground and would use the water for the veg garden (not for drinking).

Having looked online to buy a unit I'm astonished at the cost. I have several above ground water butts and these are cheap as chips frankly.

Has anyone else found a solution?

Thanks for any help

2. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    Have a look on Gumtree.com*/Ebay.co.uk for a used IBC. 1000litres cap.(You dont have to fill it. Thats approx 1metre cube. Often available in /on a pallet . Dairy farmers are often able to supply , target price would be c £20 (CASH!) Its worth asking what it previously contained. Avoid oil and most chemicals. Rinse totally before use. A full range of connectors and pumps available through trade outlets, especially for these.
    example*:
    1000Ltr IBC's | in Lymington, Hampshire | Gumtree

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,571
      Agree about the IBC, also 200 to 300 L isn't a lot in a dry summer, I've used all 5 of my 100 L water butts and just about emptied a 1600 L tank, the last 100 L or so were being saved for the insectiverous plants. This was used on the greenhouse and container plants and supplemented by mains water when in a hurry.
      Another point is can you dig a deep enough hole, I considered underground storage at one point, however most of my garden has a max of 3 ft of soil before you hit rock and need a road drill or dynamite.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,979
        I've got a couple of above ground 1,000 litre IBCs that gradually fill up with rain off the shed roof over winter. They lasted me till May this year so frankly I would say it's not worth the effort of digging a pit just for 300 l. How would you raise the water out and make it safe so no one fell in, all seems a bit complicated.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,076
        300 litres doesn't go far.
        I've only got barrels not sure of the capacity something like 55 litres each, I've got 6 of them and I use them in one week in summer just watering pots.

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
        Ratings:
        +4,947
        I am not sure it's worth digging a hole for 300 litres storage. There are different types of water storage tanks that are slimline. They tend to be marketed as flat tanks and under decking tanks. They cost more than traditional water butts, however they are made for underground storage where as IBC tanks are not.