Unfair to bergamot?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Flinty, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Earlier this year, I planted some bergamot Cambridge Scarlet (monarda didyma) because I fancied a tall perennial with interesting red flowers. It's a good plant for bees too, I believe. It's been very disappointing for the following reasons:

1 it's just about the floppiest perennial I've had for many a year

2 it's had powdery mildew in a part of the garden where no other plant has got mildew

3 it's so invasive it makes garden mint look like a fragile orchid!

Have other forum members had the same experience with bergamot?

2. Katherna

Katherna Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In my veg and herb book (lol they had an offer in ASDA for it ) it says to 'lift, divide and replant the clumps every 3 years, and to plant 2' apart - so it'll have taken over the garden by then. Perhaps it's been something to do with the weather. I'm going to be growing some next year so I'll bear in mind it might try to take over the garden.

3. Captain Jon

Captain Jon Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Forget Cambridge Scarlet

MONARDA SAHIN'S MILDEW-FREE'

Gentle greyed-purple and green flowers Jun-Sep, 60cm. A good cut flower. Extremely healthy and vigorous plant that dies overwinter of dankness.

MONARDA SQUAW'

Clusters of red flowers Jun-Sep, scented leaves, 75cm. Mildew resistant. Good moist soil, sun or part shade. A suggestion, grow in large pots which sit on the waterside (or in a saucer) in summer and are put in cold dry (dark) places in winter. (Died from too much winter wet).

MONARDA VINTAGE WINE'

A good cut flower. Deep wine red flowers Jul-Oct, 70cm. Mildew can be a problem if the soil dries out as can winter wet. (Died from too much winter wet).

4. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Many thanks for your comments.

Captain Jon

You must be a keen monardophile with your detailed knowledge of the different varieties!

5. returnmack

returnmack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My monarda was a sore disappointment this year for the opposite reason. It did nothing (it was its second year). My garden is damp with heavy clay and it should be a great environment for monarda, but this year, nothing. It didn't die, because there ase tiny sprouts above the crowns but it didn't produce a thing. Shame, because it was gorgeous last year. Mine is Squaw, I think. It WAS very mildewy last year though.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I had Bergamot growing in the border for a while, having bought it as a little cutting and grown in a pot. I planted it out and the first summer it got attacked by caterpillars and ended up looking moth eaten. This year, exactly the same!!! So...in a fit of annoyance I dug the whole blasted thing up and dumped it!

I'll try it next year from seed I think, as it looks so pretty (when not attacked by caterpillars or mildew!)

7. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    In the end, I also dug my bergamot out.

The top may have been a floppy, mildewy mess but by Golly, the root system was powerful. I think it had designs on taking over the rest of the garden....!

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Tell me about it! I did the same yesterday to an oregano plant that was in the "wrong place":D. The roots went on for ever.....

Now, just need to find a spot to build a new herb garden!