Unsolicited emails etc.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    I recieved an email today from a charity.. Plantlife. OK at first glance. Plantlife...plants. Ok I am interested. The message. Dear Dr.

Dr who??. B/Hell. you have sent me an email with my name on it. Then in the context of the message. Join us. As a single member. Just under £40 a year. Life membership. £1000.00 per year. Reductions exist for students. Oldies. Zilch.

So I ask. If you or anyone have taken the trouble to send me this message. How did you come across my name etc. and why not simply. Dear Doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,291
      Well you have fallen at the first hurdle, opening an email you did not recognise !

The scammers always try make the title look genuine or interesting so you will open it and then click on a link which will infect your computer.

No point in worrying about how they get your name etc as there are so many ways when you use the web and forums etc etc. Probably not sent by a human, probably an automatic computer generated one.

The three things you need to do, Mark that mail and similar as Spam so any future ones from that sender get sent straight to your Trash folder.

The check your Email address in this very well known and recommended site to see if its been compromised. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Then run a scan on your whole PC to check for any malware, even if you are using a security suite , run this equally popular free scanner to double check Malwarebytes Download - Free Virus Scan & Virus Protection Tool

• Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,455
        Well said @ricky101 but, as you said, it not particularly worrying. On my system I don't just mark it as Spam but tell the computer to block the email address.

I've been getting more of this type of thing since Covid but they tend to follow similar patterns.

Something that doesn't seem right or seems dodgy.

Something that apparently comes from a well known company - even, possibly, from one you deal with. In which case you first look closely at the email address. If it's not the email address for the company then it's dodgy. I quite often get emails form BT that have all the correct logos and signatures but the email address it's from is not BT. If it appears genuine but you're not sure, then contact the company using the method you would normally use and not through that email.

Never click on links unless you're expecting to receive them.

After a while all this becomes fairly automatic to do.

If you're not sure about anything then just ask on here. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +32,985
          Spamer's can clone numbers and e-mail address

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,861
            My Doctor here, calls me Dr. Di...do not ask:noidea: haha...
            we get personnel emails from many 'whoevers'...you can run but you can't hide...from these pests. How yer doing Mike.?.weathers yuk, that's enough to give you the pip on it's own......

• Friendly Friendly x 1