Update 1 Worlds Hottest Chillies

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Dale Weatherby, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Dale Weatherby

Dale Weatherby Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Just thought i would update you all on my progress of growing the worlds hottest chillies. I ended up growing these varieties:

Chocolate Habanero
    7 Pot Red
    Bhut Jolokia
    Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
    Trinity Butch T Scorpion
    Moruga Scorpion
    Sweet Genova Basil (Just to test if everything is working)

Used John Innes sowing compost, along with Wilkinson's vermiculite sprinkled on the top.

After roughly 3 days of propagation, the basil has stormed up, and following on up to today's date, is ready to be potted on.

I have three varieties of chillies coming up, which are the 7 Pot Red, Trinity Butch T Scorpion and Moruga Scorpion. These took about 7 days. I planted 10 seeds of each variety for each little propagator tray, and 3 or 4 of each have came up so far. No signs of growth from the others really.

How long should i wait before transplanting now? Some of the tops on the seedlings haven't properly straightened up, but some have. The ones that have are roughly about an inch high. Should i pot these seedlings on yet?

Regarding the future growth of them, i haven't got a growlight for them, so am still figuring out what to do and where to put them.

I will have to get some pictures up here if i get a chance.

Thanks,
    Dale.

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,090
      Let us know how the basil gets on, I don't bother sowing basil till May as I don't think I can keep it warm enough but it would be good to get going with it earlier.

• Dale Weatherby

Dale Weatherby Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      Just another quick question about potting on. Should I spend the extra on buying John Innes potting on compost, rather than opting for the cheaper multi purpose compost, which I will be adding perlite too anyway?

Thanks,
      Dale.

• Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
      Ratings:
      +1,668
      I would love to see some pictures Dale...you are a brave soul growing all those hot peppers!!!:hate-shocked:

We eat a few of them here too, although i havent started mine, heck i havent even decided what i'm growing this year.:heehee:

Question though, what do you do with all those peppers; cook with them, freeze them, grow for someone, grind them?

Good luck, and i'd love to see some pics.