update on the wildlife pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by chkm8, Jun 19, 2006.

1. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Spent most of last week working on the pond. It is 11ft by 7ft at its longest points with 3 planting levels and a max deprth of just a few inches over 2ft. I still need to add many more plants and the water is finally clearing as the soil on the bottom settles.
    I also need to add more pebbles in the shallows and will start the bog garden hopefully in the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chkm8 - unfortunately your pics didn't appear! 11 by 7 is a sizeable pond! How did you manage to arrange the liner, etc? I found that even with my pond at around 5 by 5 it was quite tricky trying to reach to the middle, especially when you add in the depth (approx 2 foot)

3. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cobbybrook wish I knew what the problem was with the pictures. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I check the preview the pics are there I look an hour later still there. Come home from work and their gone.I am using Fotki photosharing so not sure what is going wrong.
    Anyway I put the pics on my own website url below
    http://www.geocities.com/gsdkarlar/garden.html?1150750856000
    Although easier with 2 I managed to install the liner alone.After a few inches of sand and underlay I laid the liner across the pond gently eased it into position then spread some soil on the bottom as it will be a wildlife pond. Turn on the hose and wait for it to fill about 6". Liner is held in place with bricks which are eased forward as the weight of the water pulls the liner into position. Now is the time to get the socks and shoes off and climb into the pond. Creases can't be avoided so just try to ease the liner as close to its final position as possible making your folds as you go along and holding in place by adjusting the position of the bricks. Climb back out dry off and sit down to enjoy a beer or 2. As the water fills the pond a few final adjustments can easily be made from the edge and thats about it.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I use photobucket, chkm - if you try that, and follow the instructions on the thread about posting pictures, or e-mail me if you prefer - it should work!

5. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I will give photobucket a try.

6. cobbybrook

cobbybrook Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    "Now is the time to get the socks and shoes off and climb into the pond."

Ah - that explains it! Most 'how to build a pond' articles warn you away from standing on the liner, so it's good to see that you can get away with it! Thanks for the pictures - it's coming along nicely.

7. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have built at least 6 - 8 ponds for both myself and friends. I also have a friend in the Koi business and regularly builds ponds and we always get in once ther is about 6 - 8 inces of water and start smoothing out the liner. As long as you firm the ground then place a good layer of sand and preferably an underlay also though I use whatever comes to hand then there should be no problem standing on the liner. I am 17stone and no probs so far.

8. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely pond, lovely dog photos..they all looked very keen on playing with water :D hope they won't be having a paddle :eek:

9. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Poppy33
    Thankfully they learn pretty quick and once the novelty wore off they knew they weren't allowed near the pond. They do love the water though and the last thing I need is one jumping in for a swim.

10. suedobie

suedobie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fabulous pond chkm8, I'm sure you will soon get lots of "lodgers" once word gets out.

Great looking dogs, how many do you have?

My other dog (Jake) is a GS x Greyhound, not a good looking as your but I would not part with him for the world, he had a bad start in life and now watches my every move in case I leave him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, he's gorgeous [​IMG] what a melting expression
    bet he gets his own way, with that look [​IMG]

12. chkm8

chkm8 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Suedobie,
    He looks adorable. Well done for giving a home to a dog that had such a bad start. Pit others wouldn't follow suit.There are far too many in dog pounds.
    At the moment I only have the 2. I lost a 2yr old plus the litter just before Christmas due to complications during the pregnancy. I had also just sold another 18mth old femal as I was expecting to have one from the new litter plus the mother along with the 2 I have at the moment so my plans for 4 quickly dropped to 2. I have used Ozzy at stud and the litter is due in 3wks so if as good as expected I will be taking one of the pups so hope to be back up to at least 3.

13. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This is how I did mine, scared the neighbours too, double success.

[​IMG]

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :D :D Awwww Brilliant Rich...... :D :D :D :D