Upgrading old wooden shed

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by hedgefog, Oct 14, 2018.

1. hedgefog

hedgefog Gardener

Ratings:
    +69
    We have this very old wooden shed. It had been used as a garage by previous owner of the house one point, I think.

The shed is solid in structure, but there are holes around the walls and floor. The floor is bad. The wooden floor seems sinking into the ground, and some panels are wobbly.

There are many gaps between the panels on the wall of the shed, so wind comes in, and probably one or two leaks from the roof.

Would there be any point in trying to upgrade the shed by doing some work on it? Or would it be better just replacing it with new one.

Just wondering your thoughts on this, and if you have had similar situation with shed, then would be interesting to hear about your decisions on it, and also experience on working on it in improving.

Thanks.
    HF

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,458
    If the main frame is in very good condion then it may be worth it, but if the main frame is rotten then i think it may be worth going for new ( but i haven't seen it)

sound like the cross members are rotten (if wood)

The things with old wood sheds by time you start to take things apart you then fined more work because of unseen problems, but if you can get cheap timber then may be worth a try, but this sort of thing usally cost more when you get into things

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      I agree with Jiffy, I'd find out what your new one would cost, try to evaluate the damage to the old one and cost of repair then make a decision, if you going to save a lot or you enjoy repairing then go ahead, if you're not going to save much or can't be doing with the hassle bonfire nights not to far away.:campfire:

• Like Like x 2
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,078
        My pent shed was knackered. Floor rotten,leaning forwards,some holy t&g timbers at the back.

Went to local timber merchant bought 8 tongue n groove timbers,fitted them,bought some treated 3x3 fence posts,used as joists,bought some decking,used as floor boards.Had an osb board handy so used it as a roof panel,had a very old 20x years roll end of felt,refelted it.

So now have a solidish shed thats dry,has meaty timbers that will last another 10 years or more. Still leans forward though :lolpt:

• Like Like x 2