1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Urgent advice is required!!

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Black Orchid, Mar 12, 2017.

?

How to save my tree peony?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2017.
  1. ???

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ???

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
    +583
    Hello,
    I planted a tree peony in a pot last summer. New branches with leaves started growing on it not long ago. It looked rather healthy but quite of a sudden the new branches started sagging yesterday and today it looks absolutely miserable. See the picture. I brought it into my unheated hall trying to save it from rain as I am afraid that very rainy weather could have caused it. But I felt afraid to replant it now as I don't want to damage it more.
    Two other tree peonies I planted at the same time look (touch wood!) still fine.
    So I am extremely upset and do not know what to do. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance. 20170312_220708.jpg

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    It looks very dire, have you checked in the soil for any nasties, I have no experience of tree peonies hopefully someone will be along soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,311
      They are susceptible to fungus diseases, black orchid. Firstly, though, it looks as though the rootstock is trying to take over. Tree paeonies are usually grafted onto herbaceous paeony roots which often start sprouting! Gently pull those bottom leaves off to give the tree paeony a chance and divert energy to it.
      It could be over-wet compost, so you did right to keep it in the dry. If there are any salvageable roots, they'll need to be kept on the dry side in order to recover.
      The only other suggestion is to give it a spray with a fungicide (if these are still available to buy??) which will help if it's paeony wilt. :fingers crossed: that it pulls through!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,739
      I'd suggest letting those bottom leave develop and see if they look identical to the original top growth.
      I get the impression the top part is probably a gonner.

They are totally hardy, or there abouts, so I dont think you needed to bring it indoors.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I grow quite a few and have to agree with others things are not looking good at all sadly. Agree with pete, let the bottom leaves develop and see if they are the same as those on the stem which looks dead. Unfortunately often the rootstook (usually just the ordinary dark maroon herbaceous type of Peony) takes over and the Tree Peony doesn't flourish. Just as an aside I try and buy plants as cheaply as possible or grow my own from seed apart from Rhododendrons and Tree Peonies.Sometimes, not always these are not grafted onto suitable rootstock and the results can be less than happy.
      The last couple of Tree peonies cost me over £50 each:rolleyespink: and I picked them up so no postage in that. Having said this both are now about 8 years old, have the most amazing flowers and are very healthy with no reversion to the rootstock.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,311
        I'd bet OH's pension that those bottom leaves are from the herbaceous rootstock!

• Agree Agree x 2
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,739
          If they are it probably means the scion is dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,739
            TBH, I've never understood how you can graft what is basically a shrub onto an herbaceous rootstock??
            I know they do, but it sounds like it's dooomed to me.:biggrin::biggrin:

• Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
            +583
            Thank you for your replies. I just want to explain that I had never had any peonies but was tempted to buy 3 for special price of £30 on Groupon last summer. The description was that I would get 3 established plants with buds. When they arrived they looked miserable and not a single bud on any of them. But I kept them anyway and replanted in larger pots though I wasn't sure if they survive. This spring I noticed that they started successfully growing. Everything seemed fine until one of them started perishing. I brought it inside my unheated hall only to save it from rain as my guess was that it had been suffering from excess moisture. There are some new leaves still growing at the bottom of the plant but I am not sure if they are of the tree peony or not. I will make a picture of them tomorrow.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,272
            I bought one a few years ago as a very small grafted plant from the grower. He told me to plant it quite deep so the graft was below ground level and then over the next year or so it would root from the scion and this would take over from the root stock. It didn't survive unfortunately for several reasons including my inexperience of them.

• Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
            +583
            Hi, have a look at the pictures below. Is it the rootstock growing? 20170317_160612.jpg 20170317_160558.jpg

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,739
            My thoughts would be that that is not the rootstock, but I'm no expert and stand to be corrected.:smile: