Urgent advice needed re soft water please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Granny Rose, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Granny Rose

Granny Rose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We are about to have a water softener installed as we live in an extremely hard water area. The outdoor taps will be affected by this. Will we be able to water pots/garden with said softened water?

2. Lavender

Lavender Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm about to have a water softener fitted, the outside taps will not be supplied via the softener.
    The softened water may well have too high a salt level for your plants, and it would also mean that you use up more salt in the softener.
    It should be easy to fit the softener so that it doesn't supply softened water to the outside taps.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Softened water tastes really salty if you get some in your mouth whilst your having a shower if a softner is fitted. Our daughter lives in Staines and she has one.
    There's always a scum on the surface of a cup of tea as it's made with unsoftened water. In my youth I lived in Surrey, so you thought this was normal!
    Here in the North-west the water is very soft with a neutral ph. If you had an old type car battery, there is no need for distilled water, you could use the tap water to top up the cells.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Granny Rose,

Is it a full blown water softening unit with the salt or the electronic clip on one without ?

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Probably not good for the plants. But may depend on the type of softener - whether reverse-osmosis, or something else. My DW gets dreadfully itchy skin if she bathes in water that has been softened by reverse-osmosis - so I think there must be some imbalance to normal; there is some other process (the name escapes me, but I think it may involve Magnesium) which apparently doesn't give creepy-crawly skin ... but probably is equally unacceptable to plants!

We lived in a house, a while back, that had a water softener and that has a specific tap in the kitchen, fed from the mains bypassing the water softener, which was labelled "drinking water" and we were cautioned to avoid drinking from other taps. Dunno if this applies to your situation, so only mention it "in case".

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Electronic water softeners can either use the electric power supply or they may depend on the current produced by electrolysis."

I get the first bit - "plug it in", but is it just me, or does that second bit read wrongly?

8. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :wink: Well we have the reverse Osmisis set up & it i brilliant.. Even ones drinking water is excellent.. The kettle is almost shiney inside yet we live in a very hard water area.... :yho:

:flag: A word of warning for those of you with the salt tablet softners..... Never take your drinking water through it..............!!!! :flag:

Allot of elderly & the very young people have found they start getting digestive problems & then low levels of zinc & other minerals that we do really all need in our bodies... The saly systems make it hard for the body absorb these if you drink the salt tablet softened water......

Have your drinking water from the mains in a small separate tap & filter it if you are not going for the Reverse Osmosis system........
    The salt systems do not do our insides any good... :flag::old:

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I'm a bit confused, why are things so difficult.:scratch:

I get chalk in the kettle but I always have, cant see the problem, and I would definitely not put salt into the water to soften it.

10. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Our daughter had the water softner installed as one of her kids developed a form of eczema, which the doctor put down to the hard water.
    It controls it but it doesn't completely clear the problem. However a week staying up here with us and it goes. Personally I think it might be partly due to the fuel vapour in the atmosphere as where they live in Staines is immediately under the flightpath for Heathrow.

11. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,992
    I can't see why your outside taps should be affected, surely they can leave these alone.

12. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    The usual arrangement for salt water water softners is to have a single U shaped swivel pipe on the side of the kitchen sink with it's own tap for un-treated water. The supply to this needs to be connected to the outside tap if you don't want salty water going on your plants.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sounds like an Ion exchange resin being used to remove the hardness from the water - and the salt is used to "flush" it periodically in a reverse-process.. I suppose some of the salt stays in the resin and is then dissolved into the "purified" water?

Our dishwasher takes salt - I guess it uses the same sort of mechanism

14. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Here in the North-west, there's no need for salt in our dishwasher. Salt is very corrosive, koi-keepers sometimes add this to their installations as a "tonic" and infection preventative, but the consensus of opinion is that it makes the enthusiast "feel better" rather than have any preventative or remedial effects and it can eventually ruin the pumps. Dunno what the salt in a water softened home system does to the insides of any dishy which isn't made of high quality stainless steel. Same with washing machines.

15. Granny Rose

Granny Rose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a salt block one, thanks