Urgent - Damage To Passion Flower Help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rocky, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Rocky

Rocky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a keen gardener and new to these forums and need urgent advice. My wifes Staffie bull has decided to strip the bark from my 3 year old passion flower (P. incarnata). I am now worried that its going to die, is there anything I can do to help heal the damage?

I have read about repairing bark on trees, but none of the bark is worth trying to reattach. Is the wound best left open?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I will be surprised if the plant grows above the damage (assuming it is all the way round - if it is only half way round, say, then it may recover).

My passion flowers are like weeds - cut right down to the ground they will sprout again - so I reckon that if it does die above the damage it will sprout again below it

3. Rocky

Rocky Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Here's a picture of the damage.:mad:

[​IMG]

4. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Ok well everything above where the bark has been stripped is now officially dead:( but it may well re-shoot from below:gnthb:

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Blimey! That ain't going to recover - although if it was me I expect I'd leave it to try!

Presumably the stem on the left is the same plant, and is undamaged? in which case that's what's going to be left I reckon :( The one on the right may shoot from the base - more especially if you cut it down.

How very annoying :(

The green tape looks a bit tight - if it is best to remove it (I don't suppose it needs a tie any more?)

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    I think it will probably shoot out from below the damage as has aready been said, the other stem look fine and untouched.

I was under the impession that incarnata was a bit herbaceous any way.