Use of fire ash

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by dcfp, Nov 23, 2005.

1. dcfp

dcfp Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can ash from my open fire be used on the garden to any advantage?
    I burn both coal & wood.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Wood ash is certainly good for the garden - but spread it aroud. It is like composting - you are just returning to the earth what has been taken from it by the tree. I am not so sure about coal ash as coal has other chemicals in it. But coal was trees at one time so it can't be that bad. I would be inclined to give it a try - but in moderation. Even fertilisor can kill plants if it is too concentrated.

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,070
    Coal ash contains a lot of sulphur which is not really good for plants. It needs to be weathered before using on the garden. We always sifted out any big cinders and added the remainder to the compost heap mixed in well with grass cuttings etc. If you have a small heap and a large amount of coal cinder do not add too much, otherwise you will over acidify the heap and stop it working.

4. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife & I have lived here since we were married 49 years ago, in that time all the ash from the fire (except chip board ash which contains glue) has gone on the garden.During the early years we burnt coal, but for the last 40 it has been wood.It has helped break down the clay & made it much easier to work. Wood does'nt
    leave much ash & half seems to blow away. I have not noticed any problems.
    E.W.