1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Using cuttings from conifers

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Sandy Ground, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    I think that I already know the answer to this question is, but I'll ask it anyway and see what the GC opinion is.

At this time of year, I have a lot of cuttings from my conifers. As I know these contain toxins, the normal thing that I do is shred them and put them on the compost. Its generally accepted that after 6 months, the toxins have disappeared, and they can be used as mulch.

What would happen if I did not shred them and used them as bracken to cover the ground? Would the toxins leech out and poison plants? Or would they not due to the fact its only really what happens in nature?

Discuss...:smile:

• Like Like x 2
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      No idea :noidea: but an interesting topic and one I'll keep an eye on :thumbsup:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Hiya Sandy
        I trim junipers, cryptomerias and several taxus varieties and leave much of the "cuttings" as a mulch. No adverse effects at all....nearby plants thrive.
        I would not use around edible crops, fruit bushes or in the veg patch because toxins are present. I would not add to the compost heap either as this usually ends up as a mulch in vegetable patch.
        Conifers like pines produce very acidic soils so fine in ericaceous beds :)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Hi Sandy, if i've got any prunings i put them over Fuchsias etc just to provide a bit extra cover for the Winter.

• Informative Informative x 3
          • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
            Ratings:
            +6,133
            :goodpost:@Sandy Ground and agree with @"M" interesting topic -:dunno: no experience of conifer clippings but maybe like Autumn leaves are often collected specifically to make leaf mold, the conifer clippings could be designated to add to soil/compost to create ericaceous soil - i know when i have had to buy it it's quite expensive,so if you have few bags spare in the future I'll gladly take some off your hands :heehee:
            :scratch: could be a lucrative business move depending on how many conifers you have -:ideaIPB: patent the idea quickly :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              I usually get enough to fill a Ford Transit. Is that enough for you? :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 3