Using John Innes soil based composts

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Perki, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    I'll be potting up some Eucomis sparkling burgundy soon. I'll make a mix up of 40% of JI - 40 or 30% Multicompost and the rest Grit / sand for drainage.

What I am asking does anyone else add extra compost with John innes ? from what I understand it necessary to add compost? I understand how it mix up etc. I used 100% JI in the past and thought it was to heavy, like the soil needed opening up. I've added compost ever since.

Obviously it depends on the plant like a fruit tree I probably use 70%+ JI or add garden soil got to think about the wallet .

I am going to get some new strawberry plants soon and plant them in troughs, can't make my mind up JInnes no2 or 3 ?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Perki
    Yes, I do exactly that and lighten ji with mpc now and then depending on the plants being used. For the very reason you quote, viz., the soil seems a tad too heavy. Not much,
    mpc maybe 10% or so. I sometimes use perlite instead of grit
    I have already prepared containers for strawberry runners and my mix is ji 3, grit and mpc.......prob 60, 30, 10......all very aprox and by eye. I add a handful of dried manure, a handful of chicken pellets and fish blood and bone. By the time the plants are growing the fertiliser should be accessible to them.
    I will alternate a seaweed (helps to discourage slugs too) and prop tomato feed during the summer. All works well for me. The only prob I have is selecting varieties and I usually seem to return to include Cambridge Favourite :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,371
      Thanks Verdun , I was just doubting myself.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Your are welcome Perki
      For your info I too use garden soil now and then to supplement the volume.......esp mixed at the base. As you said it is cheaper but I sieve it and check for obvious pests! :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,360
      I usually add one bag of JI to one 60ltr bag of MPC, put it all in a cement mixer with a couple of good shovel fulls of sharp sand.
      I mix up a few loads at the beginning of the season for potting up summer plants.

I then often add some Osmocote with certain plants if I think they need it.

Also mix at different ratios of sand, grit and JI for cacti and succulents.

Only ever buy JI no3, cant really see the point in buying something with less fertiliser if you are going to thin it down anyway.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Please may I borrow your cement mixer?
        No one told me that was part of a gardener's tool kit :doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Pete. Many a true word is spoken in jest. My friend as one get older some modern gadgets become useful. Yes a small cement mixer comes in handy.

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,360
            Yes come in handy for doing the washing as well, just throw a couple of large pebbles in with the clothes.:biggrin:

Yep any time "M" I'll bring it along to Shiney's this year.;):biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 3