Using leaf ash not mould?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Dec 1, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I have massive trees which =s an awful lot of leaves. This season seems even more so perhaps because we haven't really had much in the way of strong winds to dispurse some of them. Every year I collect and keep huge piles of leaves and eventually use the leaf mould. I am just about finished 2014 batch and have a good pile rotting down from 2015. I have run out of compost room for all the leaves for 2016 and against the grain I have just burnt 2 huge builders bags full (the type of bags you get sand or gravel delivered in). Before the ash blows away I was wondering if it would make quite good soil improver? I already use wood ash on the veg garden and wondered if this would be good or not. If I don't move quickly the ash will have disappeared as it seems very light and "fluffy". Here's hoping someone can tell me before it's irrelevent and I have fertilized the neighbouring farmer's field with it!

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      Its quite a while since I had any quantity of leaves to deal with, but what I did back the was not burn them, but put them through the shredder. That "big pile" was turned into a "small pile" very quickly, and composted a lot faster than expected also.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks @"M", useful article, as I expected I thought leaf ash would be pretty similar to wood ash ie Alkali and quite caustic in large amounts. I'll maybe use what I have instead of wood ash. Thanks too @Sandy Ground . You are absolutely right and useful advice for those who might not have thought about shredding leaves, however I already pick up large amounts of my leaves with the lawn tractor which does pretty well the same job as a shredder with leaves and if there is a bit of grass with it this seems to get the pile heating nicely. It's the quantites that I have:yikes:. It would take me about 2hours at least to shred the pile I have just burnt being 2 x 1 tonne bags of leaves and I'd done a version of the highland fling in the bag to tread down the leaves to make room for MORE! It took 2 of us to drag the bag to where I was going to burn the leaves as there was no way we could lift it as it weighed a fair amount and the leaves were dry.
        I'm not moaning...well slightly:) but by the time all the leaves have been dealt with I will be back thinking how lucky I am to have such great trees.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        Just one more thought about this. According to the article so kindly posted by @"M" the ashes are alkaline. It strikes me that if the alkalinity was measured, then Flowers of Sulphur could be added to bring down the pH.

It does take a while for the Sulphur to break down, but a little bit of experimentation should bring an acceptable result.