Value for money?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Loofah, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
    Just wondering on people's opinions on the cost of this job...

Back of the garden is a leylandii hedge, approx 1.5m deep and 12m wide (and too tall for it's own good). I want this topped by about a metre below the old trim line to really cut in and lower it.
    I also have a conifer tree that I've been umming over for a couple of years as it's too big, probably 6m tall, so I'm looking at removal of that.
    Two chaps have been round, one got told where to go as it was blatantly stupid but the second came in (for cash) at £260. I have a 3rd coming round this avo but wanted a 'feel' of opinion from the internet. It sounds good to me to be honest (and I'll have another option soon which should clarify value anyway)

It bugs the heck out of me that I don;t have a good way to get rid of it as I'd do it myself otherwise. Top of a hedge, chainsaw. What could go wrong lol

2. Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,067
    Does that quote cover both jobs?
    I had a huge tree removed for £250 so if that is for both jobs, I would say, it's an ok deal. :)

3. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +32,985
    don't know what it would cost, as i do thing myself

Chainsaws can bite hard if you get it wrong, i know 2 logers with missing bits to there bodys

• Agree Agree x 1
    • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,073
      To be honest I would be a bit wary of the £260.00 cash in hand chap - Does he include removing all the rubbish, if so has he the appropriate license? and what about third party insurance.

If its an all day job for two men, I would suggest that £350/£400 in your part of the world would be about the mark for a proper contractor.

a-a

• Loofah

Ratings:
      +23,862
      Yep, both jobs. It sounds pretty good to me.

And oh yes, chainsaws are to be respected at all times. The comment was tongue in cheek.

• Loofah

Ratings:
      +23,862
      I only contacted people I've already checked out (been bitten before); all rubbish shredded and removed from site, licenses and recommendations in place.