Vandalised hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JingleJane, Jun 1, 2008.

1. JingleJane

JingleJane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The perimeter of my front garden is surrounded by an old hedge. Unfortunately schoolchildren often dive into it and as the result about 8 metres long of the middle section is tumbledown and bracken-like, which looks really sloppy and unsightly.

I don't really have the time or the funds to pull it all out and have a wall instead, so I'm wondering if a new hedge would suffice?

I'm thinking of buying a few fastgrowing leylandii :eek: and planting them just inside the old hedging in the hope that they will eventually dominate rootspace and enable me to pull the old hedge out. I basically want a quick barrier because all the time the hedge is growing, I know that the passing schoolkids will launch themselves into it.

I would be really grateful for any opinions or advice.

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jane sadly hedge diving is something of a trend of late although I'm sure the parents of the little b*ggers wouldn't be too happy for their own hedge to fall victim of the fools but then again I don't think most of their parents would have time to worry about their own hedges........... too busy down the pub for that me thinks!:rolleyes:

I know what you mean hedge diving leaves the hedge looking quite unloved thank goodness my own front hedge has now grown back ok from it's own experience of the little jumping fools.

I have to admit I was thinking of doing the same and planting two or three leylandii where a very nasty, large old elderberry bush is sticking out of my hedge and slowly cropping the elderberry down the bush as the leylandii grows. I think it's worth a go just gotta convince hubby on it as he wants to replant with some golden privet.Hel.xxx.

3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    How about planting some holly. or other jaggy leaved plant?

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    why not plant shrub rose (rosa rugosa) fantstic flowers and hips, fast growing and prickly as hell.

Around here the kids set fire to leylandi hedges .......

5. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot be serious Paul???:(

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    They certainly do, there were about 40 or so hedges set light two several years back by someone driving around and throwing fireworks in. In the summer leylandi is so dry and resinouse it goes up instantly.

Last week I went to quote for hedge removal and replacement were kids had set light to one, the house owners had a lucky escape as the facia boards and upvc windows had started to melt from the heat when the fire brigade arived.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My goodness Pro Gard it sounds very rough!:eek: Hel.xxx.

8. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hel whats rough???:confused:

9. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Flipping heck Pro, that is bad.

I think the thing is, the kids are not being intentionally bad in JingleJanes case. They just think it's fun, not much consolation for us i know. I would tend to agree with whats been said about growing prickly bushes (not that I know any types or anything!). I remember as a kid there were alot of 'privet' hedges around. They seemed to survive a few dives & picking of the tops to unravel them!

Hope you get it sorted Jane,

cheers
    cheers

10. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Love the Rose idea:D...My Dad had the same problem with kids diving on his hedge too.That was until he poked in Holly branches.
    Dad loves his hedge, and clipping it:confused:,so a change was not an option. He gets a fresh supply of Holly each week from my cousin who is a Forestry worker so it looks nice aswell:D

11. JingleJane

JingleJane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies, people.

I had been pondering putting something prickly up but a friend warned that the way our compensation culture is going, a parent could sue if their teenager threw themselves (or were nudged in by a friend) into a prickly hedge and came out covered in thorns. I might visit a legal site regarding this!
    But thanks anyway :thumb:

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Crikey, it's bad when you have to worry about that.

Oh what are we coming to?

Let us 'normal' people fight back!

cheers

13. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot Borrowers because of the E.U:mad::(:mad:

14. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I mentioned holly rather than berberis for that very reason JJ! Most people know it is prickly! How about nettles - most kids recognise their sting - they're good for butterflies too! :D

15. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Gorse is good, but as pro says, they would probably burn it, they do around here also.

I dont think hedges stand much of a chance these days as a front boundry, we will have to go back to iron railings with spikes on the top, like before ww2, when they were all cut down for the war effort.

Razor wire I suppose is not an option.