Varigated Euonymus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Scotkat, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Does anyone have this beauty in their garden and the apricot seeds look like pop corn.

I wondered if you planted the seeds they would grow in to plants.

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Hi Scotkat, normally variegated plants can only be produced from cuttings not seed, there may be a few exceptions but I don't think Euonymus is one of them. The seed will probably come up green.

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Going back up tomorrow to this garden to prune enough off to add to xmas wreaths as filler material as its so pretty.

Shall check to see if there is a part of it I can dig up that has a root on it.

And if if cuttings,is it easy to propagate.

4. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Our inherited garden has several euonymus all of which are variegated. I moved a couple of them last year and, tough as old boots (as they are), they didn't mind a bit. Now that our garden is beginning to take shape I've taken some 10 or so cuttings which, eventually, will become a small hedge (quicker growing than box and easy to keep small) - of course, whether the new plants will stay variegated remains to be seen.

5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Good morning Fidgets Mum this one has apricot seed blooms on them now in summer there were now and now they are covered in this beautiful flower.

For your cuttings did you take tip or wood cuttings and root them in rooting powder?

6. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Because these bushes line our drive, I'm afraid that the judicious use of a pair of shears - to keep them tidy - means they don't get the chance to flower. I took tip cuttings, dipped them in some rooting powder and once roots began to appear at the base of the (3") pots have since potted them into 5" pots. I don't expect anything much to happen now for some time, they'll just sit in the unheated greenhouse over the winter and, like the rest of us, wait for spring.