Veg and doggy do do!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by oakdaledave, Feb 24, 2011.

1. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys, Good manure (horse etc) has always been good for veg growing. I've NOT gone mad, but had a thought. If I use manure my dog will do his best to dig it up and yes-eat it! He won't however eat his own. I'm just wondering if his No 2's would have any benefit in much the same way as other more usual manure. I know this sounds disgusting, but I throw two offerings in the bin daily from my dog.............could some be put to better use? Just a thought....................

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Hi Dave, that would be a definete NO NO from me because of Toxicariasis...!!!! Allot of dogs have a fascination for manure "a few smacks, BAD DOG & get in your Bed..!!!! " Usually sees the end of it .. Just be very firm.. The same if he picks it up when you are out walking.. Scold him/her enough & they will stop.... I promise you.. :WINK1: :thumbsup:

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Dave, you can safely use manure from non meat eating animals for your garden.
    Manure from meat eating animals is a NO NO. The risk of infection is just too high.
    Well, that's the conventional wisdom. Have a Google and judge the risk for yourself.

4. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    As has been mentioned above, as far as Im aware from my own research, It is strongly advised against using dog faeces, in the same way you wouldnt use human faeces, due to the high risks of infection. Best to dispose of properly.

Funny, I always seem to end up talking sh*t :heehee:

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You could bake it in the oven or microwave to sterilse it, but you wouldn't be poplier with the Mrs or the neighbours.

Luke, stop talking S**** and get on with blowing up that Death Star :heehee:

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I know this is a no no, but it got me to thinking about some research I did a while ago about 'tree bogs'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_bog

In addition to various articles specifically about tree bogs, I was researching natural options for decontaminating nasty things. I should say my research was driven by a different reason. I was concerned about run-off water from the main road carrying hydrocarbons down onto my land.

Its too deep a subject for me to give any real details here, but the general gist of it is that as we all know, plants often form symbiotic relationships with specific fungis and bacteria. By combining certain plant species into a bed, the different bacteria and fungi work on different nasty chemicals and pathogens to turn them into harmless raw minerals. If I remember the right the combination included willow, reeds and comfrey, and I think there were others. I also read that this system has been used for years in less developed countries, and is catching on in the more developed countries, for dealing with raw sewage.

I'm not sure this helps with getting rid of doggy do on a local scale, but I don't know how big your garden is or how keen you are to experiment with these (old) new ideas:)

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a very good article Dave :dbgrtmb:

It is criminal, how much human waste doesn't get put back into the food chain. It used to go back on the fields until farmworkers caught diseases from it.

I still remember the great big steaming piles of it at the sewage works.

What do they do with it now ?

8. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys for your interesting and informative replies. Looks like a no no then. Shame, I thought Paddy might actualy be useful for once in his life! Hehe I love him to bits, he will just have to get a paper round instead. He's 9 now and needs to start 'paying his way'..................

9. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a feeling that our Jack Russell thinks he is

by producing those lovely mounds on the turf. :th_scifD36:

:dbgrtmb: