veg produced for school cafeteria

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by miraflores, Aug 20, 2012.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I was just reading here and there when I came across this thread dedicated to a US school which produces enough veggies for the cafeteria plus they sell the overstock to the local market. I think it is a great initiative.
    http://www.quicktopic.com/43/H/6GVJ6WdZM6jji

• Like Like x 1
    • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,616
      i used to work in a church with a nursery attached and a luncheon club for the over 50's and they grow their own veggies and what they dont use, they donate to the food bank that they run, i think more should do the same thing :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I think these sort of things are really good.

There is a town here in good old UK that's doing it all for itself.
        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2072383/Eccentric-town-Todmorden-growing-ALL-veg.html

I'd love to see more of this sort of thing happen. A few years ago when I lived in Sheffield, our neighbourhood got a grant from the EU of over £50 million for local regeneration projects. One idea was to turn some wasteland into a communal garden producing fruit and herbs. I volunteered but didn't hear anything, until several months later when, surprise surprise, it was in the news that most of the £50 million had vanished, and nobody could find it in the paperwork. I wonder what happened to that, but that's another story.

• Like Like x 1
        • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,090
          Great idea but it needs lots of hard work and a dedicated cordinator to make it happen and see each season through. Veg won't happen without consistent input and it can be hard to arrange that.

• Like Like x 1
          • clare

clare Gardener

Ratings:
            +5
            Brilliant news, and great to hear this is happening in the US, which as I understand it, generally serve up far worse food to their schools than we do....