Veggie Sausage Rolls

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Gay Gardener, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    Veggie Sausage Rolls

1 6-pack of veggie sausages (thawed, I prefer Linda McCartney, but any soy-based works)

1½ cups of grated mature cheddar

1½-2 cups of made up sage and onion stuffing (a little moister than usual)

3 spring onions (finely chopped)

1 heaped teaspoon whole grain mustard

Salt and Pepper

Sprinkle of dried sage (optional)

1 egg, beaten

Method

Break up sausages with a fork (nicely broken with no big bits, but not totally mashed) and put into large bowl, add rest of ingredients and mix well. You can play around with the ingredients a bit, to taste, but don't cut down on the cheese too much as it provides the 'fat', I tend to put more mustard in. Taste and adjust.

Use as a filling for your usual way of making sausage rolls (I use shop-bought butter puff pastry, rolled out thin, milk edges, overlap, seal, cut into bite-sized 'rolls', brush tops with milk. Bake in oven at gas 6 for 25 minutes approx until golden brown. Also nice with sesame seeds scattered on top before baking. Makes about 24.

GG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Now that's an interesting alternative filling :thumbsup:

Reading through it though ... I make a "meatloaf" with those ingredients but with sausage meat not veggie sausages. So, I'm thinking it would be easy to translate it into a "meatless" loaf.

For the meat-less loaf use your recipe for the roll filling but, instead of putting into pastry, simply pop that mixture into a loaf pan (lined!) and bake in the oven until cooked through :thumbsup: Serve with a hot tomato sauce to pour over the loaf and serve with vegetables of choice :)

Hmm, methinks I'll try to make a meat-less loaf and see if Mr "M" actually notices he eating vegetarian :whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
      • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        I'll have to give the 'meat'loaf a go though will have to bulk it up a bit with something, extra breakcrumbs perhaps. Thick rich tomato sauce to go on top is essential I agree!

GG

• Like Like x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          No need to add extra breadcrumbs ... I notice in your ingredients you have mentioned making the stuffing wetter than usual. For the meatless loaf simple make the stuffing firm and proceed :thumbsup:

If you still think the quantity isn't quite enough, add grated raw carrot and grated raw onion to the mix for bulk.

• Like Like x 1