Verbascum confusion

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Robert Bowen, Jun 9, 2024.

1. Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
    +187
    Hello

I am a new member , so first of all , hello!
    I would like to open up with a conundrum and i hope someone may be able to clear up my confusion.
    I sowed seed in early 2023 for some verbascum chaixii album for a new bed i created last year. The sowing was very successful and i had 11 large plants , true to type which i was really pleased with. I eventually cut them to ground level and hoped some would survive the winter . They all did. The first 2 now have glorious colour spikes.
    So , why am I confused?
    They are yellow !
    I am not unhappy with them they are glorious and the mullein caterpillars are enjoying them as much as i am.
    I just cannot fathom the colour change and i am certain these are not self seeded new plants. I have no other verbascums and have seen no others nearby - i live in a small hamlet in Herefordshire with few neighbours.
    I do have some similar white veronicastrums which i also raised from seed and they are coming true to type from this year’s regrowth.
    Does anyone have a similar experience or can shed some light on this conundrum.
    Thank you , and thanks to the administrators for letting me join.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,565
    I have grown Verbascum chiaxi from seed and they have lasted for a good few years.
    A photo of the different ones would be useful, but are the leaves very downy and soft and are they taller than the others in which case they could be the common mullein (Verbascum thapsus); this is beloved by the mullein moth and I have noticed that they prefer the common mullein to the other verbascums: though they will cheerfully munch your V chiaxi when they have finished the common mullein.

• Like Like x 1
    • Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
      +187
      Hello NigelJ - i will attempt to post a photo i have just taken. To clarify , only 2 have flowered so far , the others are a little behind , but these two plants had white flowers last year and these are yellow - the colour change is what i cant fathom. The leaves are huge . IMG_0744.jpeg

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,565
      That looks like a common mullein to me.
      I have no idea how or why it's happened, but I have never sown or planted common mullein and I always have a couple of them some where in the garden.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
        +370
        It does look like verbascum chaixii because I can see nettle like leaves on the plant. The first thought is the most likely scenario and that's it's a self seeded plant, as they common revert back to yellow that way but it's awfully big for a first flowering year seedling, which is confusing. It's not a verbascum I've grown but I've not come across any plant reverting back it's flower colour.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,040
          • Like Like x 1
          • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,759
            There is a white form, V. chiaxii album (also has a purple fuzzy centre) - I have some. I grew them from seed several years ago and the ones I have now are their self-sown descendants. So far they've always come true but no flowers yet this year. Mine aren't as big as the one in the picture, and tend to have single flower spikes, not branched like the one in your picture @Robert Bowen

• Robert Bowen

Robert Bowen Gardener

Ratings:
            +187
            Thanks to you all for your contributions. There are still several that have yet to show their colours , so to speak , and i will update this thread when they do. The 2 yellows are 6’ high - clearly they cant be chaixii album and i am inclined to Nigel’s view that they are common mullein but i am still puzzled how this has come about , everything i planted last year had a white flower spike , nothing came up blind . We shall see , thanks for making me so welcome.