Very alkaline soil.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Calibra101, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Calibra101

Calibra101 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi
    First of all I would like to say hello to all. My problem is we moved last year to a lovely new home but unfortunately the soil in our garden is very alkaline due to being built on colliery waste. I paid to have privet hedge planted last spring (approx 25 metres in length) at first it looked as if it was doing ok except for a bit of yellowing on the leaves but by mid July some died and the leaves fell off the rest. We bought a soil testing kit and the alkaline registered as 8. At this present moment they are starting to grow leaves again but I fear they are very weak. As this is for privacy screening I would like to do my best to ensure a healthy hedge. I know very little about ferilizers and was hoping somebody could give me some advice on what to do. Thank you.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You could apply ferrous sulphate on a regular basis but i'd be thinking about digging out where you want the hedge and digging in some imported topsoil.

Wood ash would help lower it too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,648
      Welcome to the forum Calibra101.

My garden soil is also very alkaline (not sure of the scale but I'd say mine was over 8). Privet grows very well in my soil. I wonder if it might be a watering problem, it has been very dry recently (depends on your location) and maybe you need to give it some. Does your soil feel dry?

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        @Calibra101 The first thing that comes to my mind is did you use the texting kit correctly? To get an accurate measurement, I would dig about 6" or so down (ie where the roots are) and measure there. Also, take several measures at random places in the garden. A value of 8 seems high, more of a surface measurement.

As @JWK said, perhaps it is a watering problem, or possibly the lack of soil nutrients.

If it really is high, then my preference would be to use peat or other organic material to lower it. You'll need lots though, and its not something that would happen overnight.

One more thing. Take note of what other plants, including weeds, are growing in the area close to your home. They will give the best indicator of the type of soil.

• Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,225
        Could be that it the hedge was on the dry side. Did you give it additional water while it was getting established?

I am also thinking that perhaps there are other chemicals from the waste in the soil.
        Might be worth having the soil tested in a lab

A good mulching of manure could help.

• Calibra101

Ratings:
        +4
        Thank you for your replies. Living here in the Welsh valleys we get quite a lot of rainfall throught the year but I was very dilligent about watering and weeding the hedge.

Yes I did dig down to do the test and I hit what looked like clay and also colliery shale which was very compact. I do wonder is it because the landscape gardener only rotovated the soil a few inches and not dig to depth and fill with top soil before planting that the roots cannot grow properly (he was aware that underneath is compacted coal waste) or I may be talking nonsense.

Thats an idea I will follow is to lab test the soil.

There are various trees in my garden like cypress ,oak, ash. silver birch but they are in a different part of the garden to where the hedge is planted. Although I did plant some Thuja close to the hedge site and they havent grown and started to go a bit brown in places.

I will also try to get hold of well aged manure from somewhere if I can.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
          Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Olives will do well in an alkaline soil :)

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,594
          The speed with which they've died off makes me think more of some disease than a soil problem. Unless they have simply dried out but that sounds unlikely.

• Calibra101

Ratings:
          +4
          Thanks very much for replies

Disease could be a factor. According to my local garden centre we live in a rust prone area. Where I used to live (only abot half a mile away) the roses in my garden suffered dreadfully from it but I don't know if it affects privet or what the effects would be.

I will post a photo soon when the leaves have grown if the same problem occurs this year.

I have 2 olive trees in pots although I've only had a few olives off them in 4 yrs lol do you think I should plant them out ?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017