1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Very amateur gardener!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by JDQuinn, Feb 5, 2017.

1. JDQuinn

JDQuinn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd say hello. I've periodically browsed the forum and thought it was time I got involved.:smile:

A very brief introduction to my garden:

I'm from Northern Ireland, I built a house about 7 years ago now and have been slowly trying to transform my once wasteland into a reasonable garden. In the grand scheme of things I've really only just started but have been chipping away a small bit at a time for the last 5 years or so. As usual time, money and occasionally lazyness being the reasons for the slow progression. I'm extremely fortunate to live on a plot about 1 1/2 acres so space is definitely not an issue however the plot was once bog land which was drained 50-60 years ago and when I cleared it out and began to build I imported a large amount of local fill to bring up the levels. The garden is made up of local field imported top soil which varies in quality but is largely water retaining and crumbly but underneath that is hard sticky clay so drainage is a huge problem being that I live on the edge of the sperrin mountain range and rain is in abundance.

To date I have done my front lawn twice, planted a mixed hedge of approx 10 different varieties of plants that are mostly local and tend to thrive in our climate, planted a few trees and shrubbery and leveled and sowed out the rear plot.

Photos below were taken in 2015 which show the rear plot before leveling and sowing. The condition of the lawn is not as good as the pictures now either as creeping buttercup and couch grasses seem to thrive in my local conditions. I have also put in a shrubbery and some trees in the lawn as well.
    IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0680.JPG IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

• Like Like x 2
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,600
        Welcome to Gardeners Corner JD. :)

You've made a grand job of your home and garden. The transformation from an empty over grown plot must have been challenging particularly working with the ex-bog land.

• Like Like x 2
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi JD, welcome to Gardeners Corner:thumbsup::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
          • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
            Ratings:
            +6,224
            Oh woops I didn't realise this was yours.. I just replied to the other thread you made! That looks gorgeous, lovely setting you have!

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1