Very hardy climbing roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Dicker, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Dicker

Dicker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 8 foot arch at the entrance to my rear garden which faces north and tends to get a lot of wind, I live in Durham in the far north so the winds do get really nippy. Is there a climbing rose which could put up with these conditions? what I was looking for is a rose growing to about 16/20 feet with a long flowering season with lots of flowers and can stand up to the constant wind I seem to get especially in the Autumn and Winter, I'm not really bothered about the colour as long as it is a tough guy. Dicker:help:

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I would say banksia would fit the bill but it only has a short early flowering period.

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    For years I knew if I had the chance to plant a climbing rose I knew which one it would be. You see most of my property is too shady for roses. After we opened up our valley and let the sun shine in, I finally ordered my choses roses for the pergola, and they are very hardy, and can take minor shade, thornless and blooms very well, and good fragrance,---their name---Zephirine Drouhin. I am zone 5 here, they came back this year nicely, although still babies.

4. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi redstar Lovely old Bourbon Rose Medium Pink:)