Viburnum for Hedging?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by susannah, Mar 5, 2011.

1. susannah

susannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello one & all. Been away for a fair bit & just spent a couple of hours getting re-aquainted with the site!

I am in the process of having my drive completely resurfaced/redesigned and I will be planting a new hedge, I want to use viburnum but wondered what type would be best, so can I pick your brains please!!?? When planting what sort of space do I need to keep between each plant? I was thinking 18 inches to 24 inches poss? Also can anyone recommend a good online wholesale nursery who could sell me some large viburnum - may not be the right time of year though? Look forward to hearing from you & thank you in advance for your advice.........:heehee:

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi I would choose another I have a boundary part hedge front garden the whole hedge turned brown last year (summer) I found out it is a beetle and its babies eating all the leaves I will have to spray which I hate to do as I keep honey bees so will have to do late evening as the sun goes down late spring, so I would think long and hard before you go ahead.

Potugese laurel (prunus lusitanica) makes a good hedge and grows back when cut, make sure its not laurus nobilis not the large leafed one
    Hope this helps but so much choice

Spruce

3. susannah

susannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Spruce thank you so much for taking the time to reply - will definitely keep that in mind - we have a gorgeous laurel hedge to one side already but I fancied something a little different & a bit more fast-growing. We may mirror the laurel on the opposite side & have a re-think regarding the viburnum. :thumb:

4. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Were you looking for a clipped hedge or something more shrub like..?
    I like Lonicera Nitida 'Baggesen's Gold ' which can be grow as a hedge or as a lightly pruned shrub..You could use just the green form and they are fairly fast growing
    I would personally hand prune rather than clip .but it depends how long the hedge is ..

Dave