Vine weevil ate my Hydranga!!!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Bashy, May 11, 2008.

1. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I HAD a hydranga in a pot which I potted up last year.
    I bought my father in law one at the same time and his is doing great.
    Mine has been looking like twigs for the last couple of months and I just thought it might be a bit wind swept.
    Today I decided to cut my losses and dump it.
    I emptied it into my green bag and found there was hardly any root. The compost was infested with larvae which I think is Vine weevil (coincidently I was only reading about this pest last night in a gardening mag).
    I have now washed the pot and planted up a new Hydranga which I bought as a plug plant online (It's been in the greenhouse for 2 months).
    My question is: How do I know a plant is infested with this pest?
    I understand they attack plants in pots. Can I preempt this attack by spraying something or adding something to the compost?
    Can this pest also attack patio roses? This Hydranga was in between two potted patio roses!! They are both looking ok at the moment, but am now worried.
    Can I get something to treat all pots??

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. BekiMac

BekiMac Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bashy, sorry to hear about your Hydranga, such a shame, I empathise. The Aquiligia which is my avatar, was a particularly pretty specimin, and was lost to Vine Weevil larvae, they really are my most hated garden pest, and although one becomes quite tolerant of bids & bugs as gardener, Vine Weevil larvae always make me squeemish and call for Mr Mac!
    I think the clues to larvae infestation are the symptoms your Hydranga suffered; wilting/dying leaves & stems.
    Provado do a spray specifically for Wine Weevil, but I understand that you would prefer prevention rather than cure. Biological warfare in the form of Nemotodes are apparently the best defense, although this is something I have never tried.
    My advice is to simply keep your eyes peeled for the adults, and 'remove' them so that they're not there to lay eggs.
    I'm sure someone else will be able to provide you with further advice.
    Good luck, try not to worry too much!

3. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Urm I have two hydrangas that are looking very sad, I wonder if this is the cause (I have found the dreaded VW in another pot) One of them was a big beauty last year and hasn't really started this year :(

4. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say that could be your culprit EGW! Damn pests!!!!
    Hopefully someone can supply us with some preventative measures. Thanks Bekimac though, I will buy some of the provado spray and spray my pots anyway.