Vinegar for drives

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DaveMK, May 4, 2023.

1. DaveMK

DaveMK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    Always used chemical for large-ish block-paved drive. Now we have a dog. I've had vinegar at 20% acid for some time, and thinking about using it as a safer alternative. A few questions:-
    Would a proprietary weedkiller be safe once it's totally dried in? If not, how long would I have to wait before allowing dog access to the drive? As I understand it vinegar would only kill the foliage, leaving the roots to bloom again in future. Not a deal-breaker as we are 100 yards from a golf course so weeds are something we have to live with. If I were to use vinegar, should I/could I dilute it say to 10% or less; enough to kill weeds for this season but reducing smell, which I've heard mention? Is there a ratio at which the smell will be negligible? Thanks and any other advice welcome.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Most weedkillers say keep animals away until dry.
    I'd still be weary with grazing animals but I never worried when I had a dog.

3. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    How many weeds are we talking about, and what kind?

The reason I ask is that sometimes it's quicker and easier to just cut them out. Sure they'll come back, but they will no matter what you do.

4. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,155
  5. DaveMK

DaveMK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks everyone. There are untold varieties of weed in a drive of some 250 sq.m. and with block paving it gets well infested. For many years I've tried to hand-weed, but not worth it for all the time it takes, and over 70 now it's not a good idea, if it ever was. I sealed it two years ago when I had sealant left over from patio, and that sorted it till this spring when weeds have broken through again. I'll certainly look at the blowtorch which I'd never considered. The only really pernicious weeds which have arrived recently and are deadly are Oxalis - if I've identified it correctly - which came from next door, and are slowly spreading in my garden; only a few in the drive but of course it's hard to kill the whole spidery roots, which I find you have to to have any chance. (Maroon plant with yellow flowers).

• Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +32,985
      Be carefull not to get the paving blocks to hot as some of them can go bang/explode with bits that can fly and if you are near hit you

• Informative Informative x 1