Virginia Creeper

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clrkyandrew, Sep 28, 2006.

1. clrkyandrew

clrkyandrew Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me. I have a terraced garden, with three retaining walls, and have always liked the idea of covering them with Ivy, and more recently with Virginia Creeper. I work long hours,and my wife works shifts, so a trip to a local gaden centre is not always possible. I just need some tips as to when, and how I can successfully plant, and train these lovely plants. I nderstand that they are fairly invasive, but those I have seen locally seem to grow well, and cover beautifully. Can they, for instance be pot grown? Do they need much attention? Garden gets equal amount of sun and shade. If I had the weekend off, is it worth seeking some out and getting started now? Help! :confused:

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Either should be ok for garden walls. Ivy will cling to walls and can do damage when you want to remove any of it. Virginia Creeper is much better as it clings lightly and can be pulled of without any damage to rendering at all. It goes the most beautiful red in the autumn, but then the leaves fall. So you have no leaves during the winter, whereas ivy is evergreen. Personally, I would never plant ivy to grow on a house. Virginia Creeper is very fast growing. To keep it under control, you just need to cut it back when it gets as far as you want it to. You will need to plant it in the ground - not in a pot.

3. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hello

Some Ivies can be very pretty. I have a sef-rooted Hedera hibernica (Irish Ivy) in the garden. Its a nightmare. I have dug it up so many times - and every time it grows back bigger and stronger. I have been trying to get rid of it now for 6 years. Therefore I don't like Ivies very much anymore.

However - there is an alternative. Fatshedera. This is a cross between and Ivy and a Fatsia Japonica (False Castor Oil plant). It looks like an Ivy but with bigger leaves. It is evergreen and it is not self-clinging, so it won't ruin your walls, but you will have to tie it in on a trellis or wires. It is a truly beautiful plant and very archetectural too.

Other plants you can consider is an evergreen Clematis or two, or a honeysuckle.

I always try to plant things in the ground where possible. This means the plant's roots can spread, and when it is dry, won't curl up and die if you don't water it everyday.

Hope this helps :cool: