Vitis - Weak Roots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mike Graham, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that Vitis grape vine roots are very weak, just planted a second one today and half of the root ball broke off :-(

The last one I planted did the same, and that survived, so I'm not overly worried, just wanted to know if it was just me.

2. Lavender

Lavender Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Not encountered this before, I'd be tempted to complain/mention to where you purchased them.
    Are the remaining roots alive?

3. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    The first one I bought was from mailordertrees.com but this more recent one is from dobbies garden centre in chesterfield. The roots that are still attached look good, so it should be ok. Also found a grub in the dobbies one, in the soil, little white thing.

Dobbies stuff has a 5 year guarantee so I'll take it back if I have any problems, but yeah it does seem bad, or just very bad luck lol

4. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    TAKE IT BACK NOW!!!!!

Thats Vine Weevil and its evil. Put the plant into a plastic bag and return to Dobies. Dont get a replacement from them as its probably from the same supplier.

Always check plants for this nasty beast before planting out and preferably before buying.

The grub eats roots and the beetle eats leaves. Hence, probably, the roots falling off

5. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Ouch, didn't know about that. Any ideas how I can get the grape vine out in relatively one piece? Don't want to take it back and them say I've damaged it

6. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    dug it up this morning, and returned it. By sound of the womans voice on returns, they've had a few of these.

Just hope one hasn't gotten into the soil, as I don't want me other grape vine to be affected. We shall see I guess.