Wanna take a short questionnaire?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Michael.G., Feb 23, 2012.

1. Michael.G.

Michael.G. Apprentice Gardener

Student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello everyone,

I am posting this thread in order to do a survey for a university project, and this would be very helpful if a few people could spend less than five minutes to answer it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDF1em13ZXdTNk1NVHBEVUFIOExoU3c6MQ

This questionnaire aims at analyzing how swear words are considered in the everyday life.

This study is a serious one and is completely anonymous. It is also only for people whose native language is English.

Thank you very much.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Done it.
    I was quite surprised by my swearing when I had to think about it.

3. Michael.G.

Student
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thank you very much!

Yes, swearing is something we hardly think of, and it is one of the reasons I decided to study it.

Don't hesitate to share it with friend and relatives, we need as many participants as possible.

Thanks again.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,174
    Interesting survey. In some of the questions the options didn't cover the answer I would have liked to give. Maybe more comment boxes would be appropriate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Michael.G.

Student
      Ratings:
      +12
      What kind of questions do you think should have more answer choices? Thank you for your participation.

• shiney

Ratings:
      +122,174
      In Q4 and Q5 and even more particularly in Q9 and Q10 I would have liked the opportunity to say that it depended on context.

• Like Like x 1
      • Michael.G.

Student
        Ratings:
        +12
        Ok, I will consider adding a new option or maybe change the title of the question... Thank you for your help.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Done it, but I don't think my answers accurately reflect how I feel. The reason being that there is no context attached to any of the questions. I can find the same word extremely vulgar or completely inoffensive depending on how it is used.

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
        Ratings:
        +2,250
        I agree. I swear a LOT. But it depends on where I am and what I'm doing and who I'm with.

• Like Like x 4
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,126
          Have to agree shiney..:thumbsup:
          I have done it though Michael none the less..

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,679
          I've done it.
          Been know to swear now and then.
          And swearing in the right places I think is acceptable.

One thing that I dont like, this being a supposedly serious study.:D

Its the title, "Wanna", not good English, and only used in the pub or when having a laugh.
          So I think what is said definitely is connected to where you are and what response you are looking for.

• Like Like x 1
          • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,334
            I commenced doing it then scrubbed it as No context, or circumstances offered
            ie:- I rarely swear, yet when I have just hit my thumb with a hammer or stuck a garden fork through my foot
            Then at my age, we seem to have a greater vocablulary, than I find the under 30s have where every sentence includes an expletive

When young and serving in the RN all male ships, then swearing was expected daily, When ashore NEVER in front of women

So I did not complete the survey, as it had no true reflection on MY life

Regards Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 1
            • Michael.G.

Student
              Ratings:
              +12
              I see what you mean, and I am regularly told this, so I must admit that for some people, the questionnaire is not accurate enough...

The point is that, however, questions such as "how often would you say you use swear words?" (which I believe is the kind of questions that are regularly regarded as "too general") have to be understood as global questions, as if you had to do an average of the total amount of swearwords you use. Contextual questions come later in the questionnaire, the whole "how much do you swear when you are at work/at home/with male friends only etc..." part aims at analyzing how profanity is used in contexts, and these questions are less global...

Would you have found it clearer if the questions were for example: "How often do you use swear words generally speaking?"?

About the seriousness of the study, it is absolutely serious. It is part of my Master's degree in English Linguistics. If I titled this thread "Wanna take a short questionnaire?", it was to try not to bore people before they even started the very questionnaire. I believed that a very serious title with university references and so on would "attract" much less people... But maybe I should have found a more neutral title...

Anyway, thank you for your participation and comments, do not hesitate to share the survey, and I would really like to know what you think of what I said before, which was:

Would you have found it clearer if the questions were for example: "How often do you use swear words generally speaking?"?

Thanks again.

• shiney

Ratings:
              +122,174
              From my point of view there's always the consideration of the semantics of the wording. For me the context changes whether the word is a swear word or not.
              e.g. The four letter word for coitus may or may not be a swear word. In my opinion it's not a swear word when used to describe the act between consenting couples - when used by those consenting couples. Whereas to use the word in a derogatory or insulting manner is a swear word. Then, there are the more more amorphous uses such as a sharp exclamation upon hitting one's finger with a hammer. In that situation the word is not intended to be derogatory or insulting as it is not aimed at anyone.

Therefore each individual needs to decide for themselves what they consider to be a swear word and that is governed by the society that they mix with.

I worked in a very working class area where 'swear' words were peppered throughout the spoken language. They tended to be used as adverbs and adjectives more than invective. Therefore removing them, in their society, from the classification of 'swear word'. It appeared to be more a lack of vocabulary than anything else and restricted the meaning considerably, compared to using a better vocabulary such as 'good', 'better', 'best'.

Whoops! I've gone on a bit! :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 1
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                Ratings:
                +11,468