Want to move a young cornus controversa variegata

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by treetops, Jul 22, 2011.

1. treetops

treetops Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We have a Wedding Cake tree in our garden which is about 3 years old and is approaching 3 ft high. It's been moved from a previous garden about 2 years ago, and now looking at it i'm fairly certain we have made a mistake with its positioning, I want to give it more room and there is a much bigger spot it could go (with better soil to boot)

Will moving it a second time harm it or even kill it?
    Thanks for any advice / info.

Tree

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    Hi treetops

As long as it's doine correctly then there should no reason for the tree to be harmed. Move it during the dormant season, taking care to keep intact as much of the roots (including the fibrous ones) as much as possible. You may want to line the new hole with a slow release fertiliser, or back-fill with good quality, well rotted manure, so the tree has a good start next year. In the meantime, water the tree well and ensure it's fed so that it has maximum energy reserves to see it through the winter.

• Like Like x 1
    • treetops

treetops Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the advice HarmonyArb. We'll wait until November to move it and give it lots of tlc in the meantime. Thanks again