1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted Atropurpurea Nana seeds

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by spiritse, Jul 8, 2014.

1. spiritse

spiritse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking for some seeds to make a small boarder between my lawn and vegtable patch, I was looking at Atropurpurea Nana.

If you can drop me an email,

Thank you.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Atropurpurea Nana" is only part of the plant's name - and its the Christian name part, so guessing the Surname part is harder than if the other half of the name was missing!

Do you know what the main part of the name was? or can describe it?

I would have guessed Berberis if you were trying to make a short hedge between the Lawn and Vegetable patch - but I expect it could be all sorts of things!

3. spiritse

Ratings:
    +0
    Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea Nana Dwarf, i think that was the full name,

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Nana Dwarf" is a specific variety that won't (AFAIK) come true from seed, so you would have to grow that from cuttings.

I have bought small plants of Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea (note: not specifically the dwarf variety) as Cell Grown plants, as they are pretty cheap like that. They will be small, so you might be best potting them up (into 9cm pots) for this season and then planting out next spring.

I got mine from Cheviot Trees
    http://www.cheviot-trees.co.uk/products and services/cell_grown_plants.html
    They are 85p each, but that falls to 44p each if buy 100.

If you want to try seed then these people may be worth a look:
    http://www.treeseedonline.com/store...beris_(berberis_thunbergii_atropurpurea).html

but beware that it is a challenge growing Berberis from seed (assuming you are not experienced) as they need to be stratified.

Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea will eventually get to about 1M tall, but as a mini-hedge it is easy to clip it shorter than that (assuming that is what you want). If you want, say, a 60cm hedge then its only going to take about 3 years to achieve it.

The Nana Dwarf variety is probably going to take 10 years to get to 50cm high - so it will be slow getting there (but will not need much clipping thereafter). You'll also need to plant them closer together, as they are smaller, so you will need more plants. Bit of a long wait perhaps?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • spiritse

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you for the reply,

I really like the berberis, but as this is a rented place I might be better using either English Lavender or planting the Berberis in window boxes in case I have to move later. I only wanted something about 2 foot high and narrow.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      You could get Lavender munstead from van Meuwen (they don't have a great reputation - the plants WILL be small, but they should be very healthy) ... they will need growing on until next year in 9cm pots.

http://www.vanmeuwen.com/flowers/fl...lants/lavendula-angustifolia-munstead/61045VM

I reckon you could grow either of those in some sort of trough-planter, and take them with you.

Just in case you were not aware of it: Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea is not evergreen, and it is also prickly.

This is a not-very-good photo of my Berberis - planted as a "skirting board" in front of my Yew hedge:
      [​IMG]

The Cell Grown plants I received (bought in the winter, so no leaves)
      [​IMG]

Potted up:
      [​IMG]

and the idea that I nicked in the first place! from East Ruston Old Vicarage:
      [​IMG]

and the Lavender plants - as they arrived:
      [​IMG]

Potted up:
      [​IMG]

and how they looked once matured a bit:
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • spiritse

Ratings:
        +0
        The berberis is going to look really nice there. it will contrast well against the green, I had cuttings from a plant I seen before, don't know the name it was growing well. had dark red leaves with yellow on them, but unfortunately my mother moved them out her greenhouse and forgot to put them back in and the frost got them.