1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanted - Small amount of chicken wire

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Jungle Jane, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I've got a small building project currently underway which will require a small amount of chicken wire. I need two lengths roughly 12" x 30". Ideally the tighter weave type too if anyone has any for strength and aesthetic reasons....

I could just go out and buy a reel but it seems pretty wasteful for such a small amount. I've tried freecycle but to no avail.

I don't have much money at the moment either but could exchange something possibly.… If anyone wants anything small turned or carved perhaps

• Like Like x 1
    • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,946
      I have some weld mesh that is 10mm square if that's any good to you.

Rusty

• Like Like x 2
      • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
        Ratings:
        +10,739
        Think I've got some down the end of the garden, left over from when I made my chicken run Jane. It's not weld mesh but it is the smaller weave size chicken wire if that's any use.

Too dark now, but I'll have a quick look first thing tomorrow and check the size before I go off to work. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,057
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I've got some of the regular chicken wire should you need it:dbgrtmb: and some of the green plastic coated stuff aswell...

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
            Ratings:
            +3,225
            Wow. I'm overwhelmed by how many people are happy to help. Thank you all.

It doesn't really give any dimensions on the website. (Or the price :heehee:) but may prove useful in the future.

I'm trying to stay away from the plastic stuff for aesthetic purposes possibly more flexible than the wire stuff. Also the regular stuff I'm not sure how big the gaps are in between. I need something quite close knit to stop my logs falling out but also keep good airflow.

This is what I've been building and need the chicken wire for. The other half thinks I've gone a bit "too far" putting doors on it but I had enough pallet left over from building it I thought why not? I can then stuff it to the brim then and keep the local cats out of it.

[​IMG]

The doors will be painted blue of course. It's all been built from stuff we have reclaimed or had left over. Pallet was donated to me, along with chipboard roof, roofing felt was left over from my shed, along with the hinges (I only need to buy one more hinge to finish it). So would like to keep the salvaging theme going by salvaging some chicken wire from somewhere. Although I need to conjure up some door handles and a catch too.

• Like Like x 2
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,348
              I may have some down the bottom of the garden where I store lots of stuff. Are you sure it's worth travelling to pick it up, it can't be all that expensive for such a small amount. Don't builders' merchants sell it by the metre?

• rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,946
              I have some inch by half inch as well as the 10mm square. Your welcome to either.

Rusty

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              I saw mesh in Poundland a couple of days ago and it was 600 mm wide, it appeared to be rectangular pattern (approx. 12 x 25mm, but that might have been because of overlapping on the roll and my dodgy eyesight) and about 1200mm long (based on there were 10 turns on the roll and estimating the average diameter of the roll).

B&M sell 600 x 1500mm rolls of square pattern mesh for £2.99.