1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Warms the heart for Christmas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,570
    Besides gardening, one of my other loves is all things automotive/mechanical, and in recent years was drawn to some interesting videos from a mechanic based in New York. He is, in my opinion, the best mechanic on YouTube and genuinely cares about doing a job right the first time around without ripping his customers off - - if you haven't seen his videos and are interested in this sort of stuff, I would highly recommend watching some of his videos (all very family friendly).

However, he has excelled himself here, and whether you are into cars/mechanics or not, these videos are a great watch for all. Get a cuppa, and enjoy:

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

• Like Like x 1
    • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
      +10,302
      I like getting my hands dirty FC in my younger years 16/22 i worked in a car breakers yard plus we had a workshop i did lots of mechanical mot work for cars we was selling and customers cars,

I learned lots of skills body work welding fitting engines gearboxes clutches even rebuilding engines wasn't a issue,

I still keep my hand in repairing my own car when necessary i also do a bit of satellite fabrication work,

A project here ive been working on when time permits.
      Paraclipse 3.8 on H to H mount restoration/installation

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,570
        I can't claim to be brilliant at it, but used to enjoy trying - I have a bit of a lean toward Jags, and my last big-ish car project was a '96 XJ6 that needed rewired from the back seats back, most of the dash, and it also had all the suspension and bushes replaced.

They are often misunderstood too - parts are not all that different in price to other cars.

What are you going to use your dish for? Surely a bit of overkill for Sky Movies :snorky:

• Like Like x 1
        • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
          +10,302
          From memory the XJ6 rear brake's was a pain to fit you had to drop the whole cradle quick way was to remove the rear seats make a hole change the pads then re weld the hole up lol,

Parts for Jags are cheap most parts on my X type are ford its the fitting that can be expensive but doing my own repairs isn't a issue for me,

Satellite is a hobby of mine i do a thing called feedhunting.
          Satellite Feeds

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,570
            Small world! My first Jag was an X-Type 2.5V6:
            shiny005m.jpg

shiny004m.jpg

This was the one that needed all the work:

08072008117.jpg

It was running like a Rolex when I had to sell it (very long story!)

And a fairly new family member (only had it weeks):

20181126_144806.jpg

20181126_144748.jpg

• Like Like x 1