Wasps nest

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Muddy14, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I dug some boarders earlier in the year and turned over the grass in a pile at the end of my garden. Today i noticed that there is a small hole in there and lots of wasps come out when noise is made!

Any ideas how to get rid of them?

I have chucked some dirt in the hole for now!

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hy Muddy14: here is a previous post about wasps, which can inspire you, although having the nest on the grass is slighly different, I believe...good luck!

3. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ooooh i hate wasps hope u can get rid of them

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The best option is to get a pestcontrol firm in, should cost about £35 - £45 even with a ground nest you risk getting badly stung if you mess up.

Otherwise being very carefull and working away from the fight path then pour a tea cup sized quantityof petrol down the hole, the vapour sufocates the larvae (this is how I used to do it before I sat my pestcontrol qulifications and was able to buy the proper equipment and cheemicals!!) most of the domesticly available chemicals are inefective as they are weaker than the profeshional strength concentrates.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    A tin of Wasp Nest foam from B&Q is easier, cheaper and less dangerous to yourself. Spray it in the entrance after dark and it will destroy the lot. I have removed about 6 nests over the last few years with this stuff. no trouble.

6. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My gramps used to use petrol but he set fore to it! :eek:

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Paulstris, Thats the first time ive ever heard of the wasp foam working!!! Normally I get a call becuse theyve either been stung using it or simply sprayed it everwere making a mess or better still both!!!

The foam is a bit iffy, it uses permethrin but in a low dose, the foam soon diperses and very little residual insecticide is left, usually not enough to work.

For ground nest or were there is no acess to the actual nest I use very strong insecticidal dust via a high pressure duster.

For exposed nest using wasp foam has the same problem and a very seriuse risk of being stung, spraying the surface of a nest with foam rarely works as the foam is not reaching the egg cells, I litterall poke a hole in using a thin rod then spray the cells directly (with proper protection on.

8. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha we can't spare any liquid gold!

9. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have to admit (shamefully cause I never really told my neighbour exactly what happened) pouring petrol down the holes and then setting light to it.

Didn't do my neighbours hedge much good, but they were away on holiday at the time.

It worked though, heh,heh.:D

10. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,857
    I'm glad I came across this thread, if only to say that my council (Woking) charge 55 quid to get rid of the nest! (which I found at the weekend while putting up a new aerial...). Still, better than getting stung by the wasps eh? ;)

11. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I looked into the local council but they charged £37.50 per half an hour! Something i couldnt really afford.

So...... I stuck a spade in the ground and turned over the soil to reveal the nest and drenched it in water! All done!

12. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Stung by the council, instead Loofah.:D

13. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    here is some foam for the wasps...
    [​IMG]

14. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We just got rid of one using ant powder at night. A slight dusting is all you need, within 10mins they'll be no more.

15. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Those are some funny looking wasps!