Wasting water..!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wildflower, Jul 16, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They are all at it here again..its hot so out come the sprinklers in the blazing sun to water the flaming grass..I think its past a joke..I dont mind people watering plants but lawns !!The man next door to me has had his on for over 2 hours on a small patch of grass measuring no more than 6x6..its so water logged its just running down his drive..We dont have a hosepipe ban but the reservoirs are not overflowing either..Hot weather is due for the next 5 days at least so i suppose the sprinklers will be on for 5 days..it makes me really cross...anyone agree ? or disagree ?

2. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree wildflower, but I suppose the main problem is that most of them are not gardeners so don't know or care what to do! Other thing is, they turn it on and forget all about it!

A few years ago I went out into the garden one day and as I walked onto the lawn it was squelchy. On checking over the fence I saw all of next doors garden was awash! When I knocked to tell her about her hose was still running, she replied "Oh dear, I put that on a week ago!"

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree wildflower. My lawn is nicely yellow, but it will recover - lawns do. We don't have a hose pipe ban, but I don't use my sprinkler - and when I water, the water goes directly to the roots, not the foliage, not only because of waste, but also in this weather it scorches the leaves.

Bear in mind too that this government is still planning on building 200,000 homes a year in the East, South East and Midland area - and there is little sign that they will make their voluntary code of conduct in respect of the water, co2, power and the like mandatory. So lots more little boxes, using lots more water, power - and leaving a Co2 footprint, thats more than any car.

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose a lot of it comes down to ego..They must have the greenest lawn..well where the one i mentioned was being watered its in full sun till the sun goes down ..so it was just water wasted..my front lawn is turning orange but i dont care...

5. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I now what you mean about the water -grass if the first to recover, but some people just HAVE to have a lush green lawn and HAVE to then mow it about 3 times a week.
    One of the first things I learnt about gardening (from Alan Titmarsh) was that in the summer, DON'T mow the lawn on the lowest setting - raise the blade - and mow less frequently.
    Every year, next door mow his religiously every week. We don't. Every year next door end up with dead staw and then has to water it. We mow it every other week, or less, and always have a beautiful green carpet.......
    And as for sprinkling in sunshine - some people are soooooooo dense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (you'll probalbly find they don't want to miss any of the dreadful soaps in the evening....
    :mad: :mad:

6. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Never watered grass in my life, not going to now either. When they have to pay for the water they use via a meter, one wonders if they will be so profligate then? We pay for what we use and it does make you think about it a lot more.

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I believe they have the answer in America. There is a service that will come round and spray your lawn green with a special paint.

I agree with Palustris, I think everyone should be on a meter - it concentrates the mind.

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    People who aren't gardeners just like grass to look green - so they do all this ridiculous stuff, while weeds grow around, and you see things like ash trees growing up through their shrubs, and everything growing into everything else - they just don't understand. So - we either educate them or forgive them!! What does everyone think?? :D

9. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I,m on a meter, so i use next doors ;) ;) ;)

10. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My garden is mainly planted with stuff that enjoys damp as we flood. I have had to water, but I hasten to add, not my lawn - they always recover and it will be nothing in comparison to what nin puppies are going to do to it over the next 5 weeks!

11. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dendrobium..have you been looking in my garden / i have got a hedge at the back with tree saplings popping up amongst shrubs.. :D I just leave it as its shelter for the birds as its dense..
    Well another hot day on the way so out will come the sprinklers again..i must say my lawn looks dreadfull..My fatherin law lives in miami and he has a seperate water supply for the garden i wish we could have the same..perhaps in years to come they might think about doing something like that...

12. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mines all yellow and crisp too :eek: I just think it saves mowing it anyway [​IMG] Id rather use any water on my plants - I save as much as I can, when I empty the old water out of the animals water bottles and bowls, it goes in a watering can [​IMG] Some people are just so thoughtless :(

13. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I never water the lawn and it stays pretty green if you don't mow it too short. We are getting heavy dews most mornings and that suits slightly longer grass. The moisture trickles down to the roots, but if you mow too short, then the growing points and roots will be baked dry.

Third month of hosepipe ban means that the soil is like the Mojave Desert! Now I am only watering containers and dahlias - everything else is going to have to survive or die. Next year, will see me with drought resistant plants only. Too darn hot now! I've shaved my beard off - wife screamed, dog barked and cat sniffed :(

14. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL - Ive vowed to leave Mr Marge if he shaves his off - he looks so chubby-faced without it [​IMG] Any before and after pics then H?

15. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    T'other half got a bit close with the trim last week, sort of designer stubble now :eek: Makes the neck look fatter and the dimple shows :D