Watch out for wasps!!!

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Val.., Aug 18, 2010.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    On Monday morning a wasp came into the house and flew into my African Grey parrots' cage, I think it may have been attracted by the apple that my parrot was eating. I don't think George (my bird) has ever seen a wasp before and he completely lost it!!!!!!!!!!!:( I have never seen him in such a panic, it was really scary. The result of this stress was that George went up to his highest perch and just stayed there with his head under his wing, he would not eat and as far as I could see hadn't drunk either, I have been very worried. finally this evening when I was having a nap, I heard George climbing down and the seed scattering everywhere as it does when Greys eat. He is now back to his old self and clambering all over his cage, but this was scary so I thought I would pass it on.
    Val
    This is George.

[​IMG]

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Poor old George! At least he didn't try to eat the wasp! (I once knew a woman who accidentally swallowed one with her gin and tonic - with unhappy results.) I've noticed that wasps are sometimes attracted to the birdseed mix I put out for wild birds.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    George is just lovely Gemini.
    Well done on keeping him in such good condition.
    My sister had an African grey - great bird and the powers of speech and imitation were fantastic. But the poor bird wouldn't come out of its cage and it plucked its own feathers into bald patches. A sure sign of distress.
    I don't blame my sister, she is a responsible pet owner, but parrots are long lived and I don't now where the poor bird had been before she got it.
    It moved on to someone with a big aviary in the hope of a better life for the bird but I think the damage of life in a cage had been done.
    Every best wish to George - and do look out for the wasps. At this time of year they become really pesky.

4. MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Is it worth getting a net curtain material for the cage, one with holes big enough to see out okay but small enough to prevent anything getting into the cage. Placed on the cage only if the doors/windows are open ? Only suggestion as Parrot had such a negative effect.

5. JBDUB

JBDUB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know the best way to deal with an inquisitive wasp?

Without getting stung for it...

George looks like he's in peak condition BTW very nice...