Water butt aroma

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nathan7, Oct 27, 2009.

1. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a water butt that I installed this summer and it has been a god send, What do people in the winter is they any special cleaner I could use other than bleach or jeyes fluid to get rid of a stagnant smell

2. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Do you know anyone with a swimming pool?... I used chlorine!

Not sure how safe green/legal that was... but it worked a treat!

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    A weak solution of bleach would do it as long as you wash it it out well afterwards.
    I use the same solution to wipe down the walls of the 300 gall fish treatment pool in my garage whenever I empty it, before I fill it again after a thorough rinse.

Digressing, while I've always used the jet-wash to clean the patios a couple of times a year, an elderly neighbour always used a week solution of bleach in a garden pressure spray. A fine spray meant there was no run-off and it kept his patio and paths clear off moss and green algae.

4. alan.rawlinson

alan.rawlinson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have several dotted around the place, but don't have a smell problem. If the water does gets stagnant, suggest you empty them (it) for the winter and let it dry out, as unlikely you will be using it much till the Spring. Alternatively, let it drain out and refill from the winter rain with sweet water