Water Butt Query

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Bower39, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Bower39

Bower39 Apprentice Gardener

IT
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The only place I can put a water but is across the far side of the footpath around the house.

The hose from the downpipe, to the water butt, would therefore have to go under the path and back up the water butt.

How far up the downpipe would the hose have to be connected, in order for the water to have sufficient gravitational fall to reach the water butt?

Thank you.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I don't know the correct physics, but my suggestion would be:

The higher the better :)

If the pipe goes into the water butt, and then points downwards, it [the hose] will syphon [from the downpipe] when full, this will increase the volume that can be "sucked" from the downpipe.

Larger diameter "hose" will have less friction than small diameter. 3/4" is significantly better than 1/2"

3. islayhawk

islayhawk Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    The hose would have to be connected to the downpipe at a point no lower than the top of the water butt. Water will always find its own level - obviously the higher you can connect to the downpipe the better - it will give you more force. Or if the water butt is situated in a part of the garden which is lower than the area where the downpipe is this will also increase the pressure

4. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    I would suggest you take a spur off the downpipe across to the butt with 4" downpipe (if this is at all possible) with a small diameter hose the water may back up and overflow causing puddling on footpaths.

Filling the butt using the method you describe, the water would have to overcome the pressure of the water. A snap of the area would be a great help. Cheers, Tony.

5. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Dunno about pipework with as narrow a bore as hosepipe, but for larger, smooth bored pipes the rule of thumb was 1m fall in 40m for 100mm/4" dia, 1m in 60m for 150mm/6" dia, which would make it 1m in 10m for 25mm/1" pipe, and perhaps more if you're using spiral pipe such as supplied with downpipe interceptors - don't reduce the diameter when/if extending and connect to the butt at high level.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    I'm having real trouble tying to understand what you are trying to do here bower.

I mean, how do you fix a hose to a downpipe?
    This hose then has to run under the path?

I'm obviously missing something.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    There are plug-in gadgets that will fit in-line with a downpipe that divert water toa water butt (as I'm sure you know :) ) some of which "divert" using a hosepipe connector, rather than something more the size of the downpipe itself. I assume that is what bower39 is planning to use.

The ones I've seen advertised suggest that you can run the hose to your vegetable patch and the like, but I personally think that the friction will be too great to get more than a trickle. But its a fair idea for under-a-path to get to the Butt, although if it won't allow enough water through the pipe then most will be lost as spill-over past the diverter

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Generally I think of them being like this (with short, large-diameter, pipes connecting the Butt)

[​IMG]

but the hose connection ones look like this:

[​IMG]

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    I don't think we can work this out without pipe sizes, slopes etc etc. So why not just experiment with a hose pipe, position it roughly where you want and pour the water from a can and see how high you can get it to flow at the other end. It would help having a couple of people to hold things, but you could try this in a couple of minutes and it would give you the answer.

• Like Like x 2
    • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      Have you considered crossing to the Butt ABOVE head height.
      You could have a slight run off and go vertical into the Butt. You would need a rigid pipe across to withstand environmental effects (winds etc)

• Like Like x 1
      • lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
        Ratings:
        +641
        Just a guess but I would of thought the diverter will think the butt is full and switch because of the back pressure from the fall and rise of the small bore pipe.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +23,865
        It won't work. Pressure in the butt will prevent it filling more than a few inches.
        Best alternate option I think it to take a downpipe diverter higher up on the downpipe and create an 'arch' over the path and down into the water butt. Good excuse to buy a new arch and grow something over it too!